Friday, January 28, 2011

Perfect Parents

I am not a perfect parent. Nor am I a perfect person. I know that. I try my best, sometimes I do a good job, sometimes great, sometimes, whooooa nelly, was I wrong.

Judging other people's parenting? Not unless it's extreme.

My son- my gay son- has a friend whose parents will not let him hang around him. Why? Because he's gay. And their son? Is gay. They may not like it, they may not want to accept it, but it's the way it is.

I understand they may struggle with it. I understand it's not easy. I ask my other two boys, Are you sure you're not gay? They say, Sorry, Mom.

Sigh. Okay, I still love you.

Today I found out they don't like a mutual friend the kids have. A lovely young woman who has a single mom. Being a single parent isn't easy- being a parent in a marriage isn't easy. Parenting isn't easy.

They feel this young woman has "too much freedom."

My question is, have you talked to her? Spent any time with her? Because she's a pretty great kid.

Some kids have a lot more freedom than my kids do. If you asked my kids, they'd say they have no freedom at all, I'm overprotective and incredibly strict. My rules are different than other parents. My sister in law let her kids watch movies at 5 years old that stunned me.

She has great kids.

Would it have been my choice? Nope. Bottom line? Are the kids good kids? No question. I adore them all. I adore her. She's a fabulous, strong role model for her kids.

We parent very differently.

When I heard about these parents "dislike" of this young woman, I got mad. They are wealthy, have been able to pay for round the clock nannies, and have never had to worry about where the next mortgage payment would come from.

I know I have tremendous privilege. I have been able to stay at home with my kids for years. Not everyone can. Few people can.


I know I'm not perfect. Do they?

5 Comments:

Anonymous kevin blumer said...

people still have this thing about gay people myths i grew up and my best friend was gay i wasnt allowed to see him or go to his house if i did i was called gay and other horible remarks as i have grew up quite a bit since then i think it was due to lack of education and understanding and the fear of not knowing the truth

9:51 PM  
Blogger Ms. Moon said...

Of course they don't know they're not perfect. And I'm sorry- eff them.

11:53 AM  
Blogger Rena said...

what Ms. Moon said.

7:08 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

is this your son who enjoyed that mink? ; )

3:39 PM  
Blogger Sara said...

Yup, it's the mink lover.

lover of mink.

he no longer would be caught dead in such a thing!

8:27 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home