Monday, June 27, 2011

Diving In

When you go in the ocean in Maine, you have a certain expectation: you expect to have a heart attack. I only made it in up to my knees yesterday. Today I'll try to do the brave, firm walk in and dive.

It's how I've been feeling about my whole life lately. My heart is full of loss and I'm not sure how much more I can take. I can't avoid it, though. I need to dive in, sit with it, invite it to dinner.

I've been trying to think of what my loss would look like if it were sitting across the table from me. An old woman or an angry toddler?

An old woman who shames me into accepting her into my life? Who sees my embedded need to respect my elders, and uses that to pry me away from the every day chaos I use to escape the painful feelings?

Or an angry toddler who demands my attention? Who knows I would never let a child cry or be unseen for any period of time. The helplessness of the small frame drawing me in, leaving me no choice but to hold it.

And in that room, would there be the cold air of loneliness swirling about, making it hard to focus on anything?

I don't know. I only know my heart can't take much more. The one thing I've learned about the ocean in Maine is, once you dive in? It's fine. The anticipation is far worse than the cold water.

It's time for me to dive in; my heart won't stop.

It can't.

5 Comments:

Blogger Ms. Moon said...

You have lost TOO much lately. I know you are not asking for pity, I am not giving it- I am just saying that whatever you are feeling is justified.

8:51 AM  
Anonymous donald said...

dive right in!!!

3:40 AM  
Blogger Sue J said...

I'm not sure what the life metaphor is for when your legs go numb, but there's got to be a lesson in there, too. :-)

8:05 AM  
Blogger Akannie said...

'Atta girl....

10:03 AM  
Anonymous Morgan said...

"The anticipation is far worse than the cold water."

How true. The fear of what we anticipate can stop us from diving in and appreciating our curiosity of life. I'm with Donald..."dive right in!!!".

3:48 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home