Sunday, November 05, 2006

Room Shuffle

My kids love to change rooms. Move around, try different configurations, and buddy up with different brothers. This is probably a direct result of having moved so many times. Everyone tells me I’ve ruined my kids. I see them as very flexible.

For a long time, they all shared one room. But the fighting between Ben and Jake was too much to take on a daily basis. We separated all three, to their own rooms.

But, inevitably, they want to move things around again. This morning, Ben tried to convince Zachary to move into his room.

Nope.

Can I move into your room?

Nope.

Zachary likes his space to spread out and not listen to fighting.

You can move in with me! Jake said excitedly.

Ben thought for a long time. The two don’t get along very well.

I don’t know if there’s room…

Sure there is!

Jake promptly started shoving all his stuff into a corner. To share a room with Ben is a dream come true. He adores his oldest brother. Once, I tried to explain to Ben that Jake thought he was the sun, the moon and the stars… Ben said, no he doesn’t.

He does. Ask him.

Ben did. Do you think I’m the sun the moon and the stars, Jake?

Nope, Jake said. I just think you’re cool.

See Mom? Ben felt vindicated.

Ben… and I went on to explain that Jake, at that time only four, didn’t really understand the image.

So this morning, at about 9:30am, Ben started to move into Jake’s room.

Zachary came downstairs and hung out in the kitchen with me while I was cleaning up.

How long do you think it’s going to last? I asked him.

Till tomorrow. Then they’ll be in their grumpy moods and start fighting.

At about 11am, the move was complete. Jake came downstairs.

How long do you think you and Ben will last?

Maybe till tomorrow. Maybe just till tonight.

He shrugged and picked up his blanket off the floor, wrapped himself in it and headed towards the stairs, BEN!!! BEN!! I FOUND MY BLANKET BEN!!

It’s noon and they’re eating lunch. Everything is smooth so far. Jake is in heaven- his sun, moon and stars have commandeered his room. Ben is already a little exasperated by the Jake shadow following him around. He’s trying to keep his cool.

Personally, I think Ben is nervous about the visit to the new school today. He has taken in the reminder I gave him last night that no matter what, he would be in a new school next fall. A major challenge lies ahead. And has been the case with other big steps, he’s willing to take it on but retreats on another level. He leaves the autonomy of his own room, a queen sized bed to move back to a twin, with primary colored trucks covering the flannel sheets.

I think the move will last more than a day.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

8:09 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home