Tuesday, January 02, 2007

And So It Begins...

My kids are back in school today. I loved every minute with them this vacation – not something I always say after a long break from school- even so, it was time to get back to work.

I have worked my way through about 8 loads of laundry so far. Only about five more to go. And I have the big, giant washing machine.

The tree is down, thanks kitty, and everything has been put away till next year.

I’m cooking stir-fry pork with Udon noodles tonight for dinner. I promised myself to eat less beef this year. Save it for special occasions, like In-N-Out burgers. Or New York Strips with truffle oil and shaved Parmesan cheese, on a bed of endive and arugula. I love to say the word arugula far more than I like eating it. I have to face the facts- I have high cholesterol and I have to take care of it, not sometimes but always.

I have to take my car into the shop because there is a loud warbling noise from the driver side tire. It will be a hassle, as taking cars into the shop always is, ultimately one trip of the journey is with all three boys stuck in the back during rush hour traffic, tired from a day of school and yelling at each other. I never seem to be able to schedule it to avoid that particular part of the car to the shop routine.

The furnace needs cleaning. I have to call about having a broken window fixed. I don’t know how it happened! Claimed all three boys when a giant stick was found lodged in it. At least they all stuck together.

Your average suburban housewife kind of day.

No bedrock of society crumbling. Only the mortar on my brick front steps seems to be giving away.

And yet today, we are one step closer to letting the majority in this state decide whether or not I, as a minority, am allowed the same basic rights. Whether I get to be treated with all the same respect and dignity as everyone else in this country. The legislature voted today to bring us one step closer to a constitutional amendment to ban gay marriage.

Of course, Romney won’t come by and rip the ring off my finger- although it would make a great presidential run photo op- because I have already been married. I get to keep the right. Instead, there will be a special few who will get to keep the right to stay married.

I’m getting ahead of myself. First, we will have to go through a year of bitter campaigning that will leave this state a battlefield the likes of Antietum. Millions of dollars will be spent- while my own public school can’t afford the recorder program for the whopping cost of 125K a year- to promote misunderstanding, hate and bigotry. Conservatives and Progressives alike, from all over the country will come to fight this battle.

My children will get to learn about hate. About discrimination because of they have two moms they will not have the same safety nets as their peers with heterosexual parents. Because they have two moms, they will have to listen to descriptions in television ads about deviance, pedophilia, bestiality and all the other fabricated images the right wing “Christian”- and I use that term loosely- conservatives come up with to frighten people into thinking their world is at stake.

Not something Jesus would be too thrilled to see being done in his name, in my humble opinion.

Today, the fight begins. Instead of moving forward with what has been three years without a single plague of locusts, we will step back again to fight for the right to be treated like anyone else.

First, though, I have to go fold some laundry. Preheat the oven. Pick up my kids at school. You know, all the stuff that leads to the end of civilization as we know it.

Truth be told? There will be nothing civil about this debate.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home