Wednesday, September 12, 2007

Happy New Year

Tonight, at sun down, Rosh Hashanah begins. The New Year and time to remember the sweet, good life. Well, at least that’s what I understand from my friends who are Jewish. I love the tradition, the period of reflection. A time to celebrate and eat apples and honey, and a time of atonement, to fast and pray.

I’ll work with the first part. My life is so full and rich.

The apples and honey:

My house is clean.

My wife is happy.

(Yes, my house being clean is more important than my wife being happy.)

I had a great meeting this morning with my wife that relieved a huge tension between us, thus her happiness.

My kids have not fought at all in the morning for now three days in a row. I believe that is a record.

My oldest son is excited, loving school and hanging out with friends daily. He’s happy. Still anxious, nervous, high strung but… clearly that is genetic.

My middle son actually talked to his former kindergarten teacher. His shyness is melting away and his confidence in dealing with other people- even adults- is coming through.

My youngest son, while still in the classroom I am NOT happy about, loves school and is reading every night to Jeanine and I. Slowly, cautiously, but reading out loud and not simply reciting from memory.

My community is gathering around me, supporting whatever needs to be done in regard to Jake’s classroom. I feel blessed and stunned so many people care.

My family has a home- a new place for all seven of us to call ours- on the most beautiful stretch of ocean I have ever seen.

I am part of a new venture I believe will change the way we think of political activism.

My kids are healthy, Allan, Jeanine and Walter are all healthy, and I am healthy. Well, except for this hip… and oy, I ache in the morning but... you know, healthy enough.

My dog is always at my feet, adoring me even when I’m a jerk.


My life is good. I have so much to be grateful for this list is just a beginning. Tonight, I get to go to Fenway and watch the Red Sox. Jake is coming with me, Walter and Donald. We have plans for foot long dogs and some popcorn. Zachary is going to see the Simpson’s movie with Allan. Jeanine and Ben are going out to eat and shopping.

I know I complain… a lot. I know I worry… all the time. I know I obsess… more than occasionally.

But I also know, life doesn’t get much better than this.

Here’s to a happy and sweet New Year.

3 Comments:

Blogger Bill Graber said...

Happy New Year... Enjoy, and have a very happy and inspiring Holiday!

7:01 PM  
Blogger Robin said...

L'shana tova to you and yours.

11:30 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Happy New Year!

Enjoy!

1:41 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home