Monday, February 18, 2008

Eat Local!



Okay, this makes me sick.

I have long been a proponent of organic farming. Small family farms, with human practices, like Niman Ranch. You should know where your food comes from.

I am currently reading a book by Michael Pollan, "In Defense of Food." Bottom line? Eat Local. And don't eat anything "your grandmother wouldn't recognize."

"Eat Food. Not Too Much. Mostly Plants."

Amen and pass the ketchup.

If people knew where the food on their plates came from, there would be outrage, daily, about such things. My friend, PETA man, loves to show me videos of chicken carnage, beef being stapled in the head, on and on.

They are all factory farms, is my response.

True organic farming requires animal waste. Balance, people, balance. I'm not giving up a hanger steak from Northeast Family Farms.

I'm also never eating at McDonalds again.

I have a lot of vegetarians in my life. I am a lesbian, after all. I don't agree with not eating meat, or chicken, or pork or really, anything.

I do believe in moderation, craft and the beauty of a truly balanced farm.

Want to stop huge, corporate farms abuse of animals?

Eat Local.

Labels: , , ,

4 Comments:

Blogger Christy said...

I didn't watch the video. If it's the same one I saw on the news last night, it almost made me vomit.

(And Niman Ranch has some of the tastiest cuts that I have ever tried.)

2:21 PM  
Blogger Sue J said...

Can I put in a plug for small farms here? A good place to buy healthy fruits and veggies is through Community Supported Agriculture (CSA). It's a great way to support small organic farms. You can learn more and find a CSA farm in your area by using this site.

2:54 PM  
Blogger Misgrace said...

What is shocking is that it went into school lunches. I'm so glad that we can prepare our own lunchboxes over here. At least, we have some extent of control. And yes, we buy organic. Usually straight from the farm.

My SO grew up on a farm in MA, but was astounded to find that there were next to none left where she lives now. All million dollar condos with a view of the sea.

3:05 PM  
Blogger Ms. Moon said...

I somehow married a hunter which was (and still is sometimes) unbelievable. BUT, I have learned to appreciate good venison and if there's a humane way to get meat to the plate, I think a good hunter can do it. He hunts for food, doesn't take a shot unless he's sure of an instant kill and the meat is completely natural and of course as "free range" as you can get.
Plus, there are too many deer in our area.
And I can cook some fine venison.
I sort of had to get over the Bambi thing but a cow's eyes are just as pretty as a deer's and that's the truth.
And the man fishes and gardens too and it feels very fine to eat a meal that we are mainly responsible for.

4:02 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home