Saturday, February 16, 2008

Just One More Dead Faggot

I have no words for how I feel today. Not only was a 15-year-old boy shot in the back of the head by someone who hated him because he was gay, because he was not masculine, because he wore jewelry and makeup, but also a 10-year-old boy hung himself in England.

He wanted to be a girl. He wanted to wear his sister’s clothes and makeup. His mother let him wear girl’s underwear but told him he’d have to wait till he was older to wear makeup.


Of course, by then it could get him killed.

The message of hate is getting through to our kids, loud and clear. It’s okay to kill someone who freaks you out because they don’t fit a gender role to your liking.

That is, if they haven’t killed themselves.

Ten years old and full of so much shame he hung himself. Is anyone listening?

In my LGBT community, we argue about who is more pro LGBT rights, Obama or Clinton.

It’s been days since Lawrence King was shot dead. Neither candidate has issued a statement or said a word. The national media has done a complete pass on the story.

Both candidates make me sick.

Blogger Mike Rogers, wrote earlier, the “reality is such that if either of them said the same things about woman, Blacks or Jews, they would never be elected president. Imagine Hillary not promising to immediately lift a ban on women serving in the armed forces. Imagine Barack saying we'll have a separate (but equal) institution of civil unions for Blacks.”

While the gay community has been blazing for days about this incident, the rest of the country dozes on, reading about Michelle Obama’s wardrobe choices on the campaign trail, or Roger Clemens lying his ass off on Capitol Hill.

Because this is the one kind of hate no one seems to be willing to stand up against. Let’s not offend anyone who believes Jesus was anti-homosexual. Careful not to send a message of tolerance to young children in case they find some condolence in that message and face another day.

Don’t worry. I get the message, loud and clear.

Just one more dead faggot.

8 Comments:

Blogger Ms. Moon said...

It is the shame of our times, this ignoring the hatred which is cast towards the GLBT members of our society.
You're right in everything you said. It needs to be said over and over and over again until people start paying attention.

5:17 PM  
Blogger Christy said...

I'm still absolutely shocked that the candidates are completely ignoring this. I'm furious.

5:32 PM  
Blogger Sara said...

imagine the press if a white boy shot a black boy because he was black.

Think the candidates would be mum?

5:53 PM  
Blogger Janet said...

You can come over and read what I have posted -- a lovely quotation from the "godlike" message boards on my blog.

It's sad, very sad - ignorance and hatred are still so prevalent.

MLC

9:47 PM  
Blogger Sue J said...

I agree with Ms Moon: you are right in everything you said. I haven't posted anything on my blog yet about this story because I haven't even known how to begin. I keep thinking of Lawrence King and what his life -- and death -- was like, and I am overwhelmed with grief and sadness.

But you have kicked me into gear Sara, thanks. I have a wide variety of people who read my blog who have probably not even heard about Lawrence. I'll be posting about him this afternoon.

Again, thanks.

8:23 AM  
Blogger Sara said...

sue? it took me days to be able to write about it, too.

9:07 AM  
Blogger Sue J said...

Glad to see that HuffPo published this one. Maybe there's hope for them after all ....

10:36 AM  
Blogger Sara said...

dunno, sue, days and days later...

11:35 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home