Thursday, February 14, 2008

Gay Teen Killed

A fifteen year old boy was shot at school yesterday. He died later last night.

He was openly gay. Routinely teased, threatened and abused.

This time, one of the other boys made good on his threats. First period English class.

I can remember knowing I was a lesbian when I was 15 years old. Afraid, ashamed, I kept the secret and told only one friend. I thought my mother would disown me (she did when first hearing it), my friends would hate me (some did, some didn't), and that I would be alone for the rest of my life.

I never thought anyone would shoot me.

Not when I was 15.

Labels: , , , ,

5 Comments:

Blogger Sue J said...

This is just shocking beyond belief.

9:27 AM  
Blogger Ms. Moon said...

The unfortunate thing is that it's NOT shocking and far too common. Even when the teasing and threats and abuse don't end in death, they are there. Sometimes (and again, far too often), they lead to suicide.
I weep for him, his family, and all the gay/bisexual/transgendering teens.
There are no words.

10:09 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

what a horror...this is 2008

Im 44 years old. I remember the fear I felt growing up - and even now at times in certain circumstances or in certain places I can still feel very uncomfortable with people's ignorance.

What the hell is wrong with people?

2:29 PM  
Blogger Sara said...

shot in the back of the head.

I have to say, it shook me to my core today. sure, as an adult, I know there are dangerous places. I know there is violence against our community.

but a kid in English class?

5:05 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

As I read the other comments, I was dismayed that so many of you feel the way I do. Being the victim of gay bashing, I feel deeply for the kids parents. As to why this is no better in 2008, its because about 20 years ago in Dallas a state judge said the victims where themselves to blame for being gay. That judge was re-elected.

11:49 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home