Tuesday, February 19, 2008

IM Madness

What does a 12 year old on vacation want to do?

IM. Instant message. All day. All night.

Now, I'm no stranger to IMing. I have a virtual office, and there are people I check in with daily, if nothing more than a joke or a 'water cooler' conversation. It keeps me connected and when you're working alone, it's nice to have that sense of community.

Ben puts me to shame. I can handle two, maybe three conversations. Ben had about five going on last night. I was watching- and reading- over his shoulder. He claimed to have a facebook account- he does not. He claimed to have a two week vacation- he does not. He also claimed that I was going to torture him with a haircut.

100% true. I did.

The computer he is allowed to use- another long story about one he is NOT allowed to use- has time limits set for being online. Once the time is reached, he has to get me to go on as administrator and add more time.

Last night at 10:15pm? I said no more. Go read a book.

After we returned from the haircut- which looks great- he came running into my office.

MOM. I need more time.

Go outside, Ben.

But Mom...

No, later on but not right now.

But I'm talking to [girl A]. And [girl b]. And [girl c]. And...

Ben, go outside.

He left the office, distressed that he would have to say "brb."

Less than five minutes later, he returned, triumphant.

Mom. Don't worry. I'm IMing on my phone.

I was worried? I don't remember being worried.

I think I have problems. I can only imagine sitting in Hillary Clinton's shoes today. A vote in Wisconsin and Hawaii, two places she probably never imagined would be so potent a few months ago.

Labels: , , ,

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

computers and cell phones are such a HUGE part of kids lives today....its scary. They are addicted...

4:22 PM  
Blogger Sara said...

yeah BUT, I'm not much better myself and to be honest, when I was a kid, I talked and talked and talked on the phone (I lived very far away from friends and with no car until I was 16).

hours.

and we said things like.

hey.

hey.

what's up?

nothin'

you bored?

yeah.

4:26 PM  
Blogger Suzy said...

I use to watch tv with a friend over the phone. Can't remember if we ever did that.

We are finding that cell phones would be very handy for keeping track of each other just trying to figure out how to afford them. I can see me at work all day texting the kids lol.

And don't forget the friends that lived close when you were bored that made you fall off a horse giving you a concussion and dumping you on the door step. talking on the phone was safer.

And you mother didn't like me lol.

ttfn

8:54 PM  
Blogger Sara said...

no, we hung out with your younger POPULAR sister- you know, the only reason why I hung out with you- watching the love boat.

because she was ground and we had no life.

10:09 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home