Friday, May 02, 2008

Zachary's Day of Silence

The Day of Silence has begun. At this point, I think he's enjoying annoying his brothers.

I will not be talking to the class. Even though this was requested weeks ago, nothing was sent out, no permission slips done so Zachary is on his own. I'm angry that I cannot go stand with him and explain but I also think the best voice for this is his own.

Or his own silence.

The teachers will have to explain- or not. I asked Zachary why he was doing this last night as I tucked him in to bed.

He said, For all the gay and lesbian people who were killed just because they were gay or lesbian. It's just like what used to happen to Black people. They were treated different just because they were Black. It's stupid.

Ah, the wisdom of a ten year old. It is stupid.

I emailed the principal, the teachers, to explain I would not ask him to wait another week. He's ten after all. His enthusiasm should be applauded not put on hold for paperwork.

He would not have to have a permission slip to do a protest about the war. Or to explain his participating in the Walk for Hunger. In fact, the only thing that requires a permission slip is talking about gay people.

Right now, he's hunched over a book- The Big Nap- wearing his favorite New England Patriots Jersey, mismatching shorts, and a pair of slip on Vans. He has a sticker on his chest that reads:

DAY of SILENCE

Please understand my reasons for not speaking today. I am participating in the Day of Silence (DOS), a national youth movement bringing attention to the silence faced by lesbian and gay people and their allies. My deliberate silence echoes that silence, which is caused by bullying, name-calling and harassment.

I believe the ending the silence is the first step toward building awareness and making a commitment to address these injustices. Think about the voices you are not hearing today.

What are you doing to do to end the Silence?


I know what Zachary is doing.

Labels: , , , ,

7 Comments:

Blogger Sue J said...

Your son sounds like an incredible kid. I never cease to be amazed at how "grown up" kids are today. When I think about what I was goofing off doing at age 10 ...

11:09 AM  
Blogger Seda said...

You gotta be proud today. I so hope my own kids adopt that model.

11:32 AM  
Blogger Sara said...

oh, please, he so goofs off, too.

he just has a serious, deep, caring part of him that is amazing.

11:38 AM  
Blogger Sara said...

and actually, seda, I'm furious.

see next post.

11:39 AM  
Blogger Christy said...

There are no words. Sweet kid.

12:50 PM  
Blogger Rev. Bob said...

I so admire Zachary, except that he is the antichrist:

"wearing his favorite New England Patriots Jersey"

Steelers forever!

Actually I'm almost as mad as you are at the school administrators who, by just sitting there like big lumps, gave aid and comfort to ignorance and hate.

Those administrators have a lot of proving to do before they'll ever deserve to teach your family.

5:34 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

from the way he was talking and going on at the ball game the other night, i am surprised that he didn't burst from being silent! as you, i am very proud of him, and know that he is one that will work to make the world a better place for everyone! the school missed a great opportunity!! their loss.

8:58 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home