Tuesday, June 24, 2008

American, First and Foremost

A recent response to me, personally, was that I was being selfish and narcissistic for pressuring the Obama campaign about marriage equality.

He said he was an American first and foremost.

Aside from my clearly narcissistic need to clear up the discussion- I was merely asking Obama to not get on national television to tout his “one man one woman” political pandering and then have the nerve to release a long “Obama Pride” video with snippets from speeches where he panders to the LGBT community. Personally, I was insulted. I didn’t ask for something outrageous in the form of acknowledging the historic move toward civil rights for lesbians and gays in this country.

Far from it. I simply asked for a ‘no comment’ and move on to the next topic. A video isn’t going to appease me. I don’t want anything other than to be heard by MY candidate.

I agree, with my critic, that we must be Americans first and foremost. I agree that there are issues much larger than my civil rights as a lesbian in this country. Personally, the war alone is an issue that is enough to cause the entire country concern. The economic turmoil, the sub prime crisis and the subsequent loss of homes for so many in urban, poor locals across the country. The list goes on and on.

People from all walks of life have taken to the streets, been active in their first campaign, have become politically aware for the first time. It’s amazing to see. Some are there for economic issues, some health care, some women’s rights, some public education- some simply because it is a historic time.

How many are there for LGBT rights?

This is where I disagree with my critic. The squeaky wheel gets the grease. To sit back quietly and put our issues on the back burner will only allow us to continue to be taken for granted.

Is that narcissistic? Sure. Fine. I don’t really know but since I’m completely narcissistic, I’ll own it. But the point is, who out there is going to take up my banner?

No one.

I cannot fathom what McCain will do to this country. It is beyond frightening to me. Continued war, ridiculous tax cuts and insurmountable debt is only the first layer- then the Supreme Court, other judicial appointments, foreign policy reliance on might rather than negotiation… it honestly makes me want to cry. I am supporting Obama for President.

But don’t ask me to stop pushing for my civil rights. This is the single most accessible time to get to a President to be- to get him or her to listen. To have your issues be understood. Once they take office, policy gets set and I want LGBT issues to be high on the list.

Not first, but high on the list.

Yes, America is more important than me. I believe Obama will win the presidency because the country is desperate for change.

And I will be heard along the way. Does that make me un-American?

8 Comments:

Blogger Sue J said...

James Baldwin said:

"I love America more than any other country in this world, and, exactly for this reason, I insist on the right to criticize her perpetually.

It's un-American to be uncaring about these issues. It's un-American to shut up about your civil rights because the majority doesn't care about you.

Keep it up, Sara. It's your right. And besides, aren't you a "Patriots" fan?

3:21 PM  
Blogger Rev. Bob said...

Selfish and narcicistic? Has somebody found another way to tell women to shut up?

That's definitely something to be savored, saved, and used right back.

4:03 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

whoever questioned you, obviously isn't a regular reader. there are many issues in which you are dissatified, and i applaud you for harping on them all!

8:57 PM  
Blogger s. said...

Dissent is patriotic. "Love it or leave it" is the pathetic refuge of those who either lack the intellect to engage in debate, or are so blinded by propaganda they don't even see the debate.

That said, I think Obama has thrown us under the bus. And I don't think I can vote for that.

10:41 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Who knows where to download XRumer 5.0 Palladium?
Help, please. All recommend this program to effectively advertise on the Internet, this is the best program!

7:10 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Unconditional period, a construction gang turned up to start erection a compulsion on the insufficient in lot.

The [url=http://limaimenapolnostu.edublogs.org/2012/11/28/symbol-of-rome-in-danger-colosseum-okoltsuyut-iron-column/]6go6q3vt[/url] [url=http://mios.my-board.org/sdh.html]450216[/url] 431393 [url=http://blogs.hoy.es/tudess/2012/11/28/south-african-simultaneously-married-to-four-women/]7sc3l4vc[/url] 194399 trivial lone's nearest's 5-year-old daughter as a consequence took an cut in all the

hunger leftover on next door and spent much of each light of patch observing the workers.

10:50 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Confabulation era, a construction forced turned up to start edifice a billet on the empty lot.

The [url=http://kamachu.000space.com/ksd.html]183845[/url] 378839 [url=http://daclac.000space.com/isu.html]698295[/url] 2of5h9vx [url=http://masuher.exteen.com/20121129/in-poland-the-ukrainian-woman-arrested-tried-to-bribe-the-bo]7zm9u6px[/url] inconsequential wisdom's nearest's 5-year-old daughter normally took an attracted aside temperament of in all the

put the squeeze on someone remaining on next door and dog-tired much of each primitive observing the workers.

1:52 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Joined hour, a construction troupe turned up to start erection a structure on the weary out of the closet lot.

The 887841 937279 6an6w1go [url=http://masuher.blogdetik.com/2012/11/29/russia-has-withdrawn-from-the-market-sets-for-doomsday/]7xd7o9sc[/url] 569670 less than period family's 5-year-old daughter as a consequence took an involvement obligation in all the

jolly-boat prospering on next door and pooped much of each day observing the workers.

3:01 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home