Tuesday, June 17, 2008

They All Have Names

I need some help with a problem I've had for the last couple months. I'm a little embarrassed to admit it but... I have a large trash bag (as in contractor size) of stuffed animals I cannot throw away.

I can't. They have names.

These are stuffed animals the boys have voluntarily decided to toss. When there were more animals per square inch of bed than boy, I suggested a thinning of the herd. Surprisingly, the boys were fine with it.

I'm not.

In my upstairs hallway, sits an enormous bag of no longer loved, plush, cute little- and some not so little- former friends. A friend of mine once told me a story about how he, in response to his son being afraid of the dark, had arranged his sons stuffed animals to be "on guard." I loved the idea and did the same with my boys.

Not only once loved, but also once fierce protectors of all that goes bump in the night.

I can't donate them. No one will take them because they pose a health risk.

What do I do? It's not as if the boys don't have plenty- and I mean plenty- of others they have decided to keep. You might think I'm kidding but I'm not. I honestly cannot throw these away.

Maybe I should have Jeanine do it when I'm not here. Oddly, the woman who cannot part with her band jacket from college or tee shirt from high school- neither of which have fit for years- chuckles at me when I describe my angst.

I keep coming back to the same thing. They have names. I can't tie the top and heave it on the sidewalk for the trash guys.

What to do?

Labels: , , ,

9 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

It is ok. Throwing away their guardians isn't "throwing the boys to the wolves". They will be safe without them.

7:38 AM  
Blogger Sue J said...

There is a place called SAFE (Stuffed Animals for Emergencies -- I kid you not!) that will accept "gently used" stuffed animals.

Other charities may actually accept them if they're not too beat up.

7:45 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm with Sue...The local police and fire departments use stuffed animals as "guardians" for found and abused children.

8:19 AM  
Blogger Sara said...

YOU GUYS ROCK!

I am emailing the SAFE volunteer here in MA.

not only are they gently used, some are barely used.

EXCELLENT!

9:10 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

if SAFE won't take them, do what my sister in law did. she cleaned her boys animals, divided them by child and bagged them for the attic. when her boys were married and had children, she gave them back to them. her boys were thrilled to see them after many years, and the grandkids loved them! not sure what her daughter in laws have done with them after the second use though.

10:47 AM  
Blogger Sue J said...

I'm all about reducing the landfill!

There's really always someone who needs/wants what you're throwing away. Another good place to get rid of junk/treasured items is Freecycle, which is at:

http://groups.yahoo.com/

and type in "freecycle" to find a group in your area.

12:44 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

yep, I feel the same way.

I name them...I cant get rid of them either!

So, I do the sensible thing....I put them in storage with all the other things I cant get rid of....and pay to keep them someplace else!

8:03 PM  
Blogger Suzy said...

Your suppose to get rid of them? I still have most of my stuff animals worn and loved in the closet in a bag. Some went to my kids when they were little and when they tired of them back in the bag they go.

5:37 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Only one large trashbag? How about 1 footlocker, 1 hamper and at least 1 large trashbag? They not only have names, they have personalities and I remember when and where most were acquired for my now teenage child. It's a sickness...sigh.

How about freecycle.com? Yahoo group--somebody will take them and give them the love and attention they need!

12:06 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home