Thursday, June 19, 2008

Mrs. Cowen-Whitman

For the first time today, I was called Mrs. Cowen-Whitman.

More than once.

It was the last day of school and the kids all wanted to go to Tom's Pizza. We went and as I stood in line to order, I heard a small voice.

Hey... Mrs... Mrs. Cowen-Whitman.

I turned. It was a friend of Ben's who I have know since he was a kindergartner.

Hey, sweetie, I said. I reached over and grabbed his shoulder. then finished ordering.

A few other kids said Hello. They all called me Mrs. Cowen-Whitman. It was a little strange. I'm used to Ben's mom. Zach's mom. Jake's mom. I'm used to a simple "hey."

For an institution mired in patriarchal privilege, I must say, marriage has it's benefits. If nothing else, the younger generation sees me as just as married, just as boring, and just as deserving of respect as any heterosexual parent.

Mrs. Cowen-Whitman was a little strange.

But mostly? Nice.

Labels: , , ,

10 Comments:

Blogger Christy said...

How sweet!

10:09 PM  
Blogger Seda said...

Very nice. How good that must feel, Sara! I'm happy for you. It is actually just very, very cool.

1:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

maybe it just means you are getting older! LOL

i'm sure it felt great. you certainly deserve the respect.

7:34 AM  
Blogger Sara said...

well, it's funny because I haven't changed my name but the kids are cowen-whitman's.

I think mrs. whitman would have freaked me out.

aaaaahhhhhh!!! that's my mother!

7:48 AM  
Blogger Sue J said...

I love when you tell us these stories about your kids -- it gives me such hope for the future!

7:50 AM  
Blogger Rev. Bob said...

misez cowen-whitman iz switi

12:17 PM  
Blogger Rev. Bob said...

Sorry, I forgot to ask for peetsa.

12:50 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Oh, my God, you have another Bob, but this time it's Ganshorn. Congrats supermom!

7:10 AM  
Blogger Rev. Bob said...

I'm waiting for Sara to adopt me. So long as the other boys cut down on the fart noises.

Btw, I've taken a vow to post in kitteh from now on.

Sori. Iz relijus.

11:35 AM  
Blogger Dorothy said...

Sara--just wondering how you two decided who's name to put first in the hyphenation. Cowen-Witman...Witman-Cowen? We're having that debate right now.

2:43 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home