Monday, October 27, 2008

San Francisco, Here I Am

I'll go to work tomorrow. I'm a bit of a baby when it comes to travel and time changes so I didn't feel I could hit the ground running.

And I'm starting to learn I don't have to bleed to be successful or a good person.

I was starved when I got here. I went to the lobby bar and ordered some food. The waitress said, Do you prefer Miss or Mr. Whitman?

It was a clear understanding of gender identity in a respectful tone. I said Miss is fine.

Thank you.

I can't even count the times I've been called Sir in my life. Daily? For once I felt respected.

Now I'm trying to stay up and pretend my body is not aching to go to sleep. But I will say this- I love San Francisco.

7 Comments:

Blogger Christy said...

What a wonderful way to start your trip.

12:04 AM  
Blogger Seda said...

That is so cool! Today one of my co-workers, in refering me, called me "he." She's an ally and a friend, too. Without a beat, the gentleman she was talking to - quite elderly, mind you - refered to me as "she."

Respect is very nice indeed.

12:42 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

So great! Congrats on making it there! I am proud!

7:04 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

give em hell! i know anything you do will make us proud!

7:54 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

San Francisco is among the only cities I could live in. Great that you're there. Where is the focus of the campaign? I would think, espcially given the more expansive thinking about gender that you experieinced, that San Fran would be the epicenter of "No on 8."

10:35 AM  
Blogger Sara said...

lez zorba, I will post later today- which will be nighty night time for most of you- when I get back with all the details.

and since the office is in the castro? I'm taking my camera, too.

10:59 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I will be impatiently awaiting to hear how it is going. Best to you.

2:48 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home