Monday, November 24, 2008

Ocean

Jake asked me yesterday if he could write something that I would post on my blog. I said yes, of course.

He worked on it this afternoon- had to think about it, tried a couple ideas. And came up with this piece:

"Ocean

The first step I take in the water I shiver. The water gleams at me. The water is cool like a chunk of ice. I swim around in the water. Waves are crashing and the horizon is up in the water."

A little bit of a proud Mom here.

Big proud.

I did not give him words. I did correct his spelling.

Jake has struggled to learn how to read. When he was a baby, he had ear infection after ear infection. He simply could not hear for the first 18 months of his life. We finally went with tubes after trying everything else.

He pointed to the trees when we walked out with him- he could hear the wind for the first time.

It's been a catch up game ever since. His brother Zachary loves to read and is always with his nose in a book. Jake has been jealous and wanting desperately to be able to read long chapter books, too.

He's getting there.

But what has started to blossom is an unbelievable ability to tell a story on paper. Mind you, he's always been a character to chat with- no question. Now he can put those thoughts into sentences on a piece of paper.

I promised him once a week, he could write for the blog. He's taking it very seriously.

So am I.

13 Comments:

Blogger Sue J said...

The water gleams at me.

Jake, you are a wonderful writer. I hope your Mom posts more of your work here!

6:57 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

water like an ice cube! must be talking about the maine beaches!! good job!

7:16 PM  
Blogger N said...

Catch up nothing. It's lovely. :)

7:44 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nice job Jake!

{{{high five}}}

7:45 PM  
Blogger Ms. Moon said...

Yes! Beautiful....

My youngest had a severe learning disability which translated to having huge difficulties in learning to read and write. But because she had some amazing teachers and because she has a soaring, strong spirit, she learned to do both incredibly well.
And in the process, learned skills that will serve her well the rest of her life.
It's funny- the things we perceive as our weaknesses, often turn out to be our biggest strengths.

8:00 PM  
Blogger (no subject) said...

that's an awesome piece!

and sara, you are an awesome mom. i hope to be half as great as you one day =)

8:00 PM  
Blogger Deborah said...

Doesn't take long for the waves to catch up to the shore. Can't wait for the next one!

9:19 PM  
Blogger Suzy said...

Awesome job jake I loved your writing and so did megan and sara. aww he is going to be a great writer like his mom watch your back lol. They are getting to big to fast. Were did our babies go.
ttfn
love ya

9:47 PM  
Blogger Rev. Bob said...

Yay Jake!

You didn't just paint the scene, you put yourself inside it. And that brings us along with you.

Woot!

12:34 AM  
Blogger Rev. Bob said...

One more rave: "the horizon was up in the water."

You didn't write what everybody knows things are like, you wrote what you saw. That's hard. And really, really good.

6:20 AM  
Blogger Jamie said...

Wow. This brought tears to my eyes. Not only for the beauty of his words, but for the courage he took to share his word even as he struggles to read. You should be a very proud mom!!

9:55 AM  
Blogger Sara said...

I read Jake the comments this morning... he was very proud.

and getting ready for the next installment.

10:21 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What an incredible piece. I have lived on the beach for almost 5 years. Wake up looking at the ocean. I am looking at it now as the last of the light fades... and your words have made me stop and look at it with new eyes. That takes real talent. The kind that belongs in a college creative writing class. Way to go Jake. And way to go proud Mom. :)

5:39 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home