Tuesday, December 23, 2008

Be Safe and Be Thankful

A young lesbian woman, 28 years old, was attacked and gang raped on December 13th in Berkeley, California. According to the police report, the woman was taunted for being a lesbian by the men who ranged from late teens to early thirties.

As we all settle in to celebrate our families, please remember those who were not safe. Those who walked across the street, or went home from work, or simple drove out
to pick something up at the store. Every day lives shattered by acts of unbelievable violence.

No one should ever have to live through that. I know. I've lived through rape. It is my biggest fear for my children, for my family and my friends. It is a crime that robs you of your dignity. It is an act of rage and violence and leave you feeling humiliated.

It scares me to even read about. It shakes my core.

I had to check on a friend's daughter who lives in San Francisco. She lives in Berkeley. The age fit.

It wasn't her. But it could have been. It could have been any of us with a rainbow sticker on our cars- the victim, it seems, was identified that way. Or a haircut. Or a tee shirt, or... anything.

We live our lives out and proud. We know we have to in order to make progress on our rights. Studies show that if you know a LGBT person, you are going to support their rights.

If you know our stories, our struggle.

Our pain.

If I believed in God, I would pray for that young woman. It is exactly these kind of acts that make it impossible for me to believe in a gentle, guiding spirit that cares for us all. Instead I will do what I know I can- spread the word. Remind people that hate crimes increase when the economy is bad.

And when anti-gay measures are passed, like Prop 8.

Be well tonight... sit for a moment and appreciate your safety, the warmth of your home.

May it never be any other way.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

i wish you all a safe and happy holiday and to be mindful of our brothers and sisters that are not as lucky.

5:10 AM  
Blogger Sue J said...

It really could have been any one of us. That's quite a wake-up call in this season of peace and compassion.

11:59 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home