Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Clean up time already?

It's very quiet today. Ben is home sick, lying like the dead on the couch with a high fever. Yesterday it was Zachary.

Jake asked me this morning if he was next.

I said WASH YOUR HANDS.

I must admit, I'm a tad obsessive about washing my hands in the winter. I spent two years sick as a dog when Ben first hit daycare and I learned my lesson. Of course, when they are little, it's hard to keep them from poking you in the face with their germ filled fingers.

Now, I'm just cleaning up buckets of... um... well, you know. I don't think Ben is ever going to learn to hit the bathroom until he has to clean it up himself.

I wonder if the Obama administration is going to go through the same growing pains. It seems to be the case so far. Some good choices like Clinton, some bad choices like Richardson and some weird choices like Gupta.

Some infuriating choices like Rick Warren.

The press has been pretty eager, along with many political groups, to make nice about the direction the president to be is taking.

How long will they be cleaning up, though? When will the tough questions be asked? I can promise you that as a member of the LGBT community, I'm not jumping up and down about John Berry, an openly gay man, being nominated to be the director of Office Personnel management.

It's the highest appointment ever for a gay person. Kinda sad, huh? I mean, can you name the last one? or the one before that?

Honestly, I didn't even know there was such an office.

Obama is also asking Bush to get the rest of the bailout money. That makes me very nervous. It reeks of passing the buck, not of expediency. Is he already covering his tracks?

The cleaning up of messes will only last so long. The good will of the LGBT community was severely strained with Rick Warren's invitation. While some still are clamoring to be supportive, any are not. Personally, I'm not buying John Berry as a valid token of affection.

All eyes are on this administration, waiting for great things.

I keep thinking, that like my son Ben, he's not going to figure it out until he has to clean it up himself.

Labels: , , , ,

2 Comments:

Blogger Rev. Bob said...

Warren worked out well. If Obama was wondering if there were enough LGBT rights supporters out there to give him serious pressure, he sure found out.

And it got the community and allies energized to fight as long as it takes.

And it exposed Warren as a son of the Dobsons, not just in the community but on national news.

12:23 PM  
Blogger Sue J said...

Actually, The Office of Personnel Management (OPM) is a pretty substantive position. Basically every federal job application goes through the OPM. And when you are a federal employee, all of your benefits and personnel records are handled through there, as well.

It would be great to have Obama name an LGBT person to a more high profile position, but the way he's been going, I'll happily take OPM.

12:56 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home