Monday, January 05, 2009

My Seester



One of the highlights of the trip was going to Savannah to see my sister.

My seester.

I love my sister. She and I have been through a lot and have always been each other's reality test when it came to long buried family events. Like the time my mother got up and left the restaurant when my father went to the bathroom. And him jumping in the back of the open station wagon window.

Nice.

No one else ever admitted it happened. But we both remembered it. Keeps you from feeling crazy, having someone remind you that you are not making it up.

She recently bought a house just outside of Savannah, moving back to the east coast after years in Arizona. It's nice to be in the same time zone but I do miss waking her up too early.

She bought a beautiful home on a bunch of acres of land. Odds are that she'll fill them up with animals of some sort. She has a big heart, that one, and when there is a lost puppy or stray cat that passes by, it doesn't stay homeless long.

I can tell she's worked really hard to put her life together. So many people for so long have taken advantage of my seester. She's finding some good boundaries and I'm very proud of her.

We don't agree on politics, religion, issues around race, or socio-economic class. We still find a lot to laugh about all the time. Something about surviving it all leaves us with the ability to tell stories that make most people wince from the level of pain but we're laughing so hard we're about to wet our pants.

Sure beats crying. It is, however, an acquired sense of humor. I don't recommend it.

For long ago reasons, my seester and I talk to each other in odd accents. It drives my wife crazy. The kids have even picked up on some of them. In defeat, Jeanine finally started calling her my "seester" and of course we loved that.

It's been a long road and in many ways, she's my only family of origin left.

I love my seester.

Even when she makes me laugh too hard.

7 Comments:

Blogger Ms. Moon said...

You are both so lucky.
I have that kind of crazy memories and my brother who is the closest in age to me who should remember the same things I do says he does not. And my mother? "Oh," she says. "That never happened."
Because if she admits that those crazy things did happen- she would have to admit she never did anything to stop them.
Craziness within insanity within madness.
YOU have each other as witnesses and someone to say, "Yes. That was insane. It should never have happened."
In my family, they just call me insane.
I wish I had a seester.

5:31 PM  
Blogger Sara said...

well, my other not to be mentioned sibling thinks we are crazy.

but it's two against one.

we know who is crazy.

I've always been too high strung, too loud, too bossy, too opinionated and too willing to speak it all out loud.

I say, shouldn't have treated me that way.

5:47 PM  
Blogger Sue J said...

I'm sorry, but I just can't get past the fact that it's January and you are wearing shorts....

6:23 PM  
Blogger Willow said...

Yay for seesters!
I have my leetle brother who fills a similar place(and calls me seester as well). We laugh at so many of the awful things, because really? it's too hard to cry that much.

6:37 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

so glad to hear you and kathy had a great visit. nothing like a good time with a sister. btw, allan is my seester! LOL

10:33 PM  
Blogger Suzy said...

Hi lady that sold me my house lol.

It is so nice when you can visit and catch up especially as we grow more mature. I am the crazy one in my family with the memories that everybody else seems to have no memory of. Oh well.

Glad your visit was fun from florida to georgia have a safe trip home to the cold northeast.

TTFN

10:43 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ah - Savanaaahhh....
i like the aahh at the end. I've never been but here that it's beautiful. I hope Seeester does fill her land with lots of animals...thats more to love...!

I have a Seeeeester too.! I love her a lot too, we talk about our insane family also. Thank god I have her. My true friend for all time.

bye seester - Happy New Year.!

Laura S.

12:46 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home