Friday, July 17, 2009

Back Home

I'm back in Boston. My sister had a big scare yesterday- turned the wrong way and had excruciating pain. She was too afraid to be so far away from the Dana Farber where she has been getting amazing care.

Everything is ok- the "hillbilly heroin" or oxycodone, is doing great for her pain. Or not, but she doesn't care because ... well... she's high as a kite.

It's good to be home. Although as I went to put things into the refrigerator, I was frightened. Jeanine had stuff growing in there and... um... not pretty.

Actually quite disgusting.

A friend once said to me, see the mess as a sign that she loves you. Misses you.

That's kind of a stretch but I'll try. It's clean now- that's a sign that I love her.

Walter and Allan are coming and bringing dinner. I miss them. I miss having cocktails on the deck in downeast with them, watching the birds at low tide. I miss a lot of stuff right now.

Next Sunday, the boys go to camp. All of them. I'll have a week at home with them, Jeanine, before they go. We'll play video games to saturate their brains before they go- Zachary and Jake are gone a month with no TV, no electronics.

Ben only a week.

For the week they are all gone, my sister has a good friend of hers coming to stay with her. We've found a short term rental for her in Boston, very close to the hospital.

She'll feel safe there.

Before her friend gets there, Jeanine and I will take turns staying with her. It's two minutes from where Jeanine works, literally, so she'll go have lunch with her during the day.

And for the week the kids are all gone, and my seester has her friend, Jeanine and I are going to a fabulous hotel in the Berkshires.

I wanted to go downeast but Jeanine... this is about her. And connecting. Me being out on a kayak all day isn't really connecting. We'll play golf, go antiquing... oh, who am I kidding? I don't plan on getting out of bed the whole week except for food.

I really miss her.

Ben and I will go to downeast after he gets back from camp. Walter and Allan will be up there and we've promised to do the annual meeting cookout for the small, rustic community at the end of the point.

We all get together and promise there will never be electricity. Flush toilets. Heat.

It'll be great.

My seester will have a place to kinda call home. Big city address, she's going to learn what it's like to live with every convenience at your door.

She's gonna hate it. We both grew up in the country and lemme tell ya, she still wants to be there. She doesn't like sushi or espresso.

It's all going to work out.

At least that's what I keep telling myself.

6 Comments:

Blogger Sue J said...

I'm exhausted just reading your plans for the summer!

Maybe your sister will start to enjoy living in Boston once she realizes there's a Dunkin' Donuts on every corner -- my favorite thing about that city!

8:51 AM  
Blogger Ms. Moon said...

If I know a country woman, she'll prefer Krispy Kreme to Dunkin.
But...what I really want to say is that you are doing the BEST thing by going away with your wife. Renew your spirit, renew your connection, remember why you are in love.

9:04 AM  
Blogger Sara said...

yeah, it's going to be a very long haul, I believe, over the next few months.

and yes, ms. moon- she said krispy kreme, thank you. is there really a choice?

9:51 AM  
Anonymous donald said...

better not bring her downeast, we have neither one here!

enjoy your time with jeanine in the berkshires, will look forward to seeing you and ben here in a couple weeks.

2:44 PM  
Blogger Misgrace said...

"It's all going to work out.

At least that's what I keep telling myself."

It will.

3:57 PM  
Blogger Sue J said...

Oh, well. If there is a CHOICE, obviously Krispy Kreme is better than Dunkin Donuts, no question. Being from Virginia, I grew up on Krispy Kreme glazed donuts, and spent many late hours of my teenage years sitting at the counter of the one on Richmond Highway in Alexandria.

When you get a Krispy Kreme in Boston, then it will be perfection. Let me know.

8:28 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home