Monday, February 22, 2010

DADT: It's Showtime

Not such a great start to the week yesterday. I hurt my back. I never hurt my back. As my sister said to me, you getting OLD.

OLD.

Yes, I am.

All that happened was I was horsing around with Ben in the kitchen. He jumped on my back, playfully, and bam. A giant spasm right in the middle, I couldn't move.

I have always wrestled around with the kids. Ben felt terrible and I told him it wasn't his fault- really, it wasn't. I'm getting older and I guess I can't quite do what I used to.

Can I tell you how hard that is for a former athlete to say?

It's better today but I'm sure the 800 loads of laundry I have to do won't help much. I give up. Nothing to be done, except said laundry. Pop some alleve, and get to work.

I don't like this body falling apart thing. The hot flashes are enough, thanks very much. While I was walking the dog yesterday, the wind whipping, I felt like my face was carved granite. Each wrinkle so clearly defined.

I don't mind the lines, I just never expected to feel them as much as I do.

Feel everything, every bone, every joint.

Zachary said, Mom, I'll get the cane from upstairs.

NO!

I couldn't help but shout. Raging against the dying of the light, I suppose. The cane is there for when Jeanine hurts her back, which is often. She hates using it too, but does.

No cane for me. Like I said, it's much better today. A dull ache, that's all. Big things happening this week- a bill to repeal Don't Ask, Don't Tell is being introduced by Senator Lieberman. Not a big fan of his, to say the least, but this is an excellent choice. Every day there is small movement, often undetected by the press, with appointments, and positions being filled with LGBT friendly folks.

Not unlike the aging process, each day creeps along and suddenly, bam! A big leap is taken.

Or back broken.

Time is a funny thing. No way to stop it- at least not yet. It's easy to get frustrated by the pace of social change- I know I do- but important to remember, it is happening.

Hold tight- it's showtime.

6 Comments:

Blogger Ms. Moon said...

Aging is just ridiculously undignified, isn't it? The pain and hot flashes are bad enough on their own but then- the CANE???!!!
NO!
Keep on working, woman. You are getting things done. I am in awe of you.

11:27 AM  
Blogger Sue J said...

We're on the same wave-length today -- I wrote about DADT as well.

Not sure what's Lieberman's motives are here ... I'm reserving judgment on this move of his until I hear more from him. (And what does his BFF McCain say about all of this?!)

5:42 PM  
Anonymous donald said...

this has been going on as long as i can remember, (i know sara, that is a LONG time) one step forward and two steps backwards. let's just keep moving forward!!

9:55 PM  
Blogger Dragonfly said...

About the ageing thing - my mother always says that it's a little price to pay for the expierience she has. She wouldn't trade that (or anything else) for being 20 again;-)

Ps: I enjoy reading your blog, thank you!

2:42 AM  
Anonymous donald said...

what, you only post every 10 days or so now!!??

8:23 AM  
Blogger Sara said...

been a rough week, donald. really really rough.

9:53 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home