Friday, February 05, 2010

Where or Where is My Lovely Friend the Sun?

The sun is out today. I'm going to go sit out on my deck, even though it is only 30 degrees, and soak some in. There will be snow and cold this weekend, so it's time to get what I can in this season of SAD.

I often wonder why I live in such a climate. The winter comes, and while I do love a good snow, I miss being outside. Long ago, I used to cross country ski. Around here, though, there is rarely enough snow to go out on, so the skis ended up on the sidewalk for someone to trash dive.

My kids don't know how to ski- I feel particularly guilty about that. Here they are in New England and they can't ski or skate. I don't like being out in the cold. For vacations, we always head south to my inlaws.

They know how to swim, though. Really well. Not to mention boogie boarding, body surfing and my favorite sport- sun tanning.

To say I tend to get depressed in the winter is like saying the sun is kinda warm. I've tried the SAD lights but they don't help much. What I need is sun, real sun, on my face. It's like my battery runs down and that is the only thing that will recharge it.

Why live here? Oh, yeah, that pesky group of friends and community that I have and love so much. Impossible to give up. Not to mention the thought of having to pack everything at this time in my life feels completely overwhelming.

Jeanine won't let me get a dumpster (which is what it would take) to start throwing stuff away. Every time I mention it, she gets that look in her eye, like she's going to cry.

For this period of my life, I know, I'm here. In the snow. And gray skies for 5 months of the year.

Oh my, that just sucks the life out of me. Time to go out on the deck!

4 Comments:

Anonymous donald said...

we should take the boys skiing sometime, they would love it. living in new england and not knowing how to ski is pretty sad. and i mean downhill, not cross country, even though i love doing both.

oh, the days are getting longer, the sun stronger and the temps getting more reasonable. we have turned the corner and your mood should improve soon.

was nice seeing zack and jake, hope to see the rest of you too.

5:18 AM  
Blogger Denita said...

Our dog really wants to go out on the deck when the sun is out as well. But when it's mid 20's outside, he realizes quickly that he can't just lay in the snow and take in the rays. So instead he follows the sunshine streaming through the kitchen windows.

12:24 PM  
Blogger Kate said...

I can relate so well to what you say--I live in Washington state and let me tell it is no myth that we have 300 days of rain a year. In the spring time, as soon as the sun makes an appearance, I put on a fleece jacket, head to my goat yard, put out my lawn chair and sit in the sun for as long as possible. The goats love it as much as I do--very sociable critters. If I could let them, they would sit on my lap; just for the record, I don't let them. So, when it starts raining in October and quits in March, I do turn on my bright SADS defender light, and allow myself the joy of falling asleep in the chair dreaming I'm in the goat yard on a summer day. Hope you can find some joy in my solution....

2:26 AM  
Blogger Sara said...

kate, does this mean I need goats?

7:43 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home