Monday, February 08, 2010

Post Superbowl Crash

Ah, another superbowl has come and gone. They really should give the nation the day off on Monday. No one does much after the Superbowl. My trash pick up is on Mondays and I'm lucky if they get to it before dark after the Superbowl.

The much anticipated anti-abortion commercial came on and we booed. It tried to be silly about something that is not silly. Listen, I'm adopted. I have personally thanked by birth mother for choosing to have me. She could have, because she came from an upper middle class family, had a safe abortion.

Choosing life is not for everyone, and not everyone can have a child and then give it up for adoption or make due somehow. We've forgotten how many poor women ended up dead due to back room abortions by anyone who could hold a knife. We have forgotten the coat hangers and dead teenagers.

Choose life, you'll get a Heisman winning football player.

Yuh. Right.

I refused to let it bother my Superbowl experience. We had about fifty here, friends, dogs, babies, sullen teenagers. More food than you can shake a stick at.

I love that expression. Why would you shake a stick at anything?

Our resident MIT grad Dr. B had to crank The Who at volumes I found insane. First, they were pre-recorded. Second, I have hearing loss in one ear. I don't want to lose any more of my hearing, thank you very much. I could feel my lungs vibrate.

I don't want to. Ever.

Allan makes us all stay quiet during the commericals- a rule that lasts for about the first quarter and then everyone is gabbing, eating, drinking, they don't pay him any attention.

But we are quiet during the first quarter.

I love having everyone here. Even after such a crappy start to the day, I ended it with a giant smile on my face.

Oh, and I did love dem Saints marching in... it was great to watch a team win that has never been to the Superbowl. I remember the years when Saints fans wore bags over their heads. Since my beloved Pats were not in the game, I had to pick and I couldn't help but pick who I thought were the underdogs.

Oh and there is that mortal enemy thing with the Colts but... Morgan I'm sure will comment on that.

The trash is still out front. The kids are quiet in the other room, tired from their late night sugar crashes. No fighting today. Mardi gras beads- our party theme was just that, Mardi Gras in all it's glory- are all picked up. I think. Walter's beautiful flowers are still on the table- it's going to take a while for me to take them down.

Enough leftovers for a couple days. It's like a mid winter Thanksgiving dinner- so much food tucked in Tupperware, a treat until a week passes then... scary.

The sky is pink. I think I hear the garbage truck. I have a fire roaring... Time to go reheat dinner.

5 Comments:

Anonymous lez zorba said...

This post makes me smile!

9:37 PM  
Anonymous donald said...

you see, you didn't even miss me! sounds like a good time was had by all. love them saints!

5:33 AM  
Anonymous Morgan said...

Mortal enemy? Oh, that is so passe; like in days past, the Cowboys & Skins turning to the Cowboys & Steelers. Belichick and company are the past. Maybe the Pats and Skins can become mortal enemies.

7:54 AM  
Blogger Sara said...

ooooo, that's mean.

12:06 PM  
Blogger Rev. Bob said...

You should have met my wife. When the Colts moved out of Baltimore in the dead of night, she got a hate on that never quit. Some of the Colts belonged to Valley View Country Club and played with her when she was a little girl.

8:42 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home