Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Winter Camp

Jake and I made it in to Downeast, no problem. We got about a quarter of a mile away from the house. We unpacked (that would be the royal we), started a fire, and got the place pretty toasty.

We ate camp food- freeze dried lasagna with meat sauce. I must say, it was pretty good. A cookie for dessert. We were all set, tired from dragging in the supplies on the sled, and it was only 6:30pm. Too dark to go out.

What to do?

Jake rifled through the books- not many in the dome. But I went over and saw Agatha Christie. Three Blind Mice. I love a good mystery, just as my mother did. He started to read it, but came across many words that were very unfamiliar.

Do you want me to read out loud? I asked.

He beamed and settled in front of the fireplace with the dog.

I have to say, one of the things I most love doing with the kids- really any kid- is to read out loud. After ten pages, I had the voices down, and was quick enough to translate some of the English terms.

And the expressions from the late 1940’s. We stopped and discussed. I gave as many contexts as I could.

We’d stop from time to time and thought about who was the killer. Do you remember, Jake kept asking me. Sadly, I should have, but I didn’t. I must have read this…. 30 years ago?

I think it’s the wife, I said. No, it’s the weird guy, Jake said. He’s too happy.

I also paused every time a clue was placed out by Ms. Christie- with dramatic effect.

What does that mean? We pondered. I was surprised how much he got from my reading aloud. I’ve never been good at hearing books- but he is.

The last few days have been filled with shouts and fighting and angry words. I am not sure how much more I can deal with my oldest son. I’m not sure how productive or thoughtful I can be. I let loose with an angry rage the other night. It scared him. It scared me.

Okay, it didn’t’ scare him that much. But it did me.

Last night? I read a great story to my son. Maybe that’s all I can do well.

Maybe… right now? That has to be enough.

Tonight we're at Donald's. Four to eight inches of snow might come in. Four we'd be fine... eight is a problem. We decided (again the royal we) that it would be safer here. Go back tomorrow.

Because winter camping is a lot easier than being at home right now.

9 Comments:

Blogger Sue J said...

Winter camping sounds like just the ticket right about now. Sorry we hogged all the snow down here. Will try to push this next bunch up your way, since we're kind of tired of it by now ...

3:22 PM  
Anonymous Morgan said...

Do what you do well and have patience with the rest.

9:34 PM  
Anonymous donald said...

glad we are getting snow, i love company in the winter. sorry i had plans for dinner, so didn't get to visit as much as i would have liked, but there will be coffee in the morning!

11:37 PM  
Blogger Sara said...

donald... there was not a single flake of snow. now I feel like a baby.

back to the dome...

7:24 AM  
Blogger Ms. Moon said...

You are doing everything right.

9:32 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hello friends
Do not miss your chance to get a free ipad. Visit http://bit.ly/cmmVr7

8:41 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Do you eve think that maybe you're sharing too much? Your older son reads this blog and so do his friends. Privacy is important to teenagers.

11:04 PM  
Blogger Sara said...

it's a fine balance. the point of this blog is to share the experience of a suburban lesbian housewife.

if I say everything is great all the time, it's not fair nor real.

does my son read this blog? no. he doesnt. it would be reading. he's not a big fan of reading. his friends? I don't know.

privacy is not always a right. and lemme tell you, there is a whole lot I haven't said.

it's a fine balance. and so you know, I think about it all the time.

12:25 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

no, i was TELLING you that your older son and his friends read this blog.

8:39 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home