Sunday, April 18, 2010

Key West: Day Two



My goodness people here drink a lot.

And I mean A LOT. Last night, we were wandering around Duval Street by Mallory Square and there were quite a few people who were staggering drunk. I don't really understand that. Mind you, I do love a cocktail, no question, but so drunk you can't walk? No.

It freaked me out. Especially when we came across the ones who were yelling. Not happy yells, mind you, but fighting. Yikes.

The boys dragged me to Hard Rock Cafe for dinner. I do not do chain restaurants but they insisted. Jake looked for a non-alcoholic drink from a martini glass and found one. Ben had one with Red Bull in it.

There was a couple next to us smoking away, and Ben was quite vocal about how disgusting it was. Jake said, I don't mind. It reminds me of Grandma's house...

Ben added, cigarette smoke and old lady perfume. That's what Grandma's smelled like.

I confided I have a plastic container of her scarves, that when opened, still smells like her. When I miss her, I said, I open it and soak it in.

After an enormous piece of fudge that I recommended not eating all of, but it's vacation, so I didn't insist, Jake was sick as a dog. I sat with him on the bathroom floor in the hotel room for an hour, as he moaned and held his aching belly.

I did not say I told you so. I brought him cool water and rubbed his back.

Aside from arguing over shotgun in the car, the boys are getting along amazingly well. Only a few petty fights. Now it's time to see about the jet skis. I'm afraid Ben is not old enough to ride his own, which will lead me to the choice of lying about his age.

Not a good precedent. But he is big for his age. And I did watch a creepy old man check him out, head to toe last night while we were wandering. No question, he is all that but... he is still my baby and I considered kicking the geezer's ass.

All that crazy drunkenness around puts me in fight or flight mode.

Another breakfast at Blue Heaven and then perhaps jet skis...

7 Comments:

Blogger Laura said...

geeez, I havent been staggering drunk in a looong time...

come to think of it - I kinda miss it! LOL

have fun

10:40 PM  
Blogger Lez Zorba said...

Hey Sara, Conundrum on that age question... put this in the mix....
Anya's friends - 4 of them - got into a car crash on Saturday 3 am. Speed, pot, rain, youth all factors. One kid is in critical condition. Bad, sad news. A result of serious risk taking including driving without a license. Something to think about. Have a blast!

10:51 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

that photo made me giggle!

1:59 PM  
Blogger Sara said...

I thank god anya wasn't in the car.

you just gave me gray hair.

7:40 PM  
Blogger Rev. Bob said...

One reason why the creepy old guy was taking his time to check out Jake from head to toe is that he had to. he doesn't fit into a glance any more. Are you raising a family or a basketball team?

5:42 AM  
Anonymous donald said...

love jake's eyes looking at the martini!!

glad to know that anya was not in the car with her friends!

3:49 PM  
Blogger Sara said...

our old neighbor, who is a cop and his one of his grandkids is in ben's grade, took them to see the wreck.

he did the same with his kids at a certain age, too.

I wish he could have taken ben. it is a horrible reality but there is one in every grade. I remember when it happened in my high school.

I am beyond grateful my honorary daughter was not in the car.

4:51 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home