Thursday, June 03, 2010

Oil Spill: What Can I Do?

One Million Gallons of Oil a Day. Since April 20th.

ONE MILLION GALLONS A DAY.

And still, the oil gushes.

Did you know this particular site was tried before and actually did the same thing but it was a shallower well, and they contained it more quickly?

The only advance in technology has been in digging deeper, not in clean up?

That Russia has used nuclear devices to seal off leaking wells in the ocean? They are suggesting we do the same?

People are calling to have the military take over. Um, aren't they a little busy with two wars right now?

I cannot begin to explain to you how helpless I feel about this spill. When I was in Maine, I talked to two people who pull lobsters for a living. They shook their heads. They know it's going to ultimately affect their water, too.

Because it's the ocean.

We may have killed our ocean for the next generation. Maybe forever.

I'd like to get angry with BP, but the truth is, any oil company would have done the same. The bottom line is, every time I pull up to the gas station? It's my fault. Our economy is based on supply and demand.

I feel helpless there, too. Sure, I could give up my car. I could drill for geo-thermal heat/cooling for my home- of course that process of digging, connecting, building, is fueled by oil.

Every piece of food I buy in the supermarket, every piece of clothing, every purchase, is based on oil. Everything.

As I looked through the New York Times photos online this morning, I wondered, what can I do?

I have no idea.

When it comes to LGBT rights, I understand the process. I know the different strategies, how to make them work, what I'm best at doing. I know I can make a real difference.

This? I need help with. Help. What can I do? What can I do on a micro and a macro level?

I've spent my whole life completely in love with the ocean. Drawn to it. Soothed by it. I need to give back.

Help?

Had to add this:


"Professor Wereley testified in Capitol Hill in front of the House Energy and Commerce subcommittee on Wednesday that the total for the two leaks is around 95,000 barrels, with a 20% margin of error which places the leak at anywhere from 76,000 barrels per day to 114,000 barrels per day."

95,000 barrels equals 4 million gallons.

5 Comments:

Blogger Ms. Moon said...

I have property on the Gulf in Florida. I can't even describe how I feel. And like you, I can't even begin to think of what I can do.

10:52 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

everything you said in this post captures a lot of what I've been feeling lately.

3:00 PM  
Blogger Catt** said...

Assuming your question isn't rhetorical there is a lot we can do to reduce our personal oil consumption:
1) Campaign for better public transport so that less people need to reply on their cars
2) If you need a car then get one thats as energy efficient as you can afford
3) Buy local, buy in season. Cut airmiles of your food down by trying to buy from growers as local as possible (this also means that you are supporting your local community). By buying 'in season' you will also cut down airmiles as in season produce can be grown more locally and and in a less energy hungry manner
4) buy second hand. Buying second hand furniture or clothes rather than new is good as it means you aren't contributing to the productions costs of a new item.
5) Reduce, reuse, recycle - reusing items, buying items with less packaging and recycling wherever possible again means less new items and less high energy production costs.
They all seem like small things but they can make a huge difference!

8:06 AM  
Blogger Sara said...

catt, I was serious.

we do recycle intensely- almost triple the amount of our garbage is recycling.

i have a hybrid car.

I buy local and in season as a matter of being a foodie- have for years and years.

buying second hand - I don't usually. but I get the idea. and two of my kids always have hand me downs (everything is worn till it's done, ripped or stained beyond repair)

it doesn't begin to feel like enough.

8:26 AM  
Blogger Catt** said...

Sara,
It sounds like you are doing as much as you can to reduce your consumption.
If everyone did as you did then consumption would drop drastically.
The challenge is always to convince people of the need as most people don't think in terms of the big picture!
Catt**

P.S Love reading your blog.

10:19 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home