Tuesday, May 04, 2010

Stopped Dead in My Tracks

In a moment, sometimes, you're whole life can change. A friend of mine had her whole life change in an instant last Friday with a call from the doctor- cancer.

It was caught early, it is a fairly curable cancer and I have faith that she will be fine. I also know that she will be going through treatment, probably surgery, and that the toll on her, and her family, will be mind blowing.

It makes you stop dead in your tracks.

It feels trite to say you just never know but... you just never know. I'm approaching 50, and my friends are starting to get sick. We live in such a toxic atmosphere, it is inevitable.

Another woman I know is taking a life long dreamed of hike of the entire Appalachian trail, from Georgia to Maine. It will take close to seven months. She is fortunate to have been given the time off from her job to pursue this dream. She's no youngster and she wanted to be sure to do this before she could no longer could.

It is so easy to get sucked into going through life, day by day, step by step, and not see the bigger picture. Meetings, work, bills... all immediately grab your attention. What "must" be done, the next chore, fills our heads.

How do we hold our dreams in the moment? How do we live thoughtful of the whole picture, not simply the next task?

What are my dreams? What would I do if I let go of all the responsibilities I've gathered over the years? What mountain would I scale? I honestly don't know.

It's been a while since Jeanine and I sat down and thought about what the next ten years will be. Right now, I'm thinking we need to sit down and decide what today should look like. We are fortunate to have so many options- and yet we go through each day, one foot in front of the other.

The term mindfully awake keeps running through my head. Not being so feels disrespectful to those in my life who are struggling. I have been given many gifts- it is time to celebrate them all.

I have faith in the universe my friend will be okay. And that in this moment, there is something for me to learn.

4 Comments:

Anonymous donald said...

always, make the best of every moment, they are all precious!

7:42 AM  
Anonymous donald said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

7:44 AM  
Anonymous donald said...

now how did that happen? delete one of them sara!

7:48 AM  
Blogger Sue J said...

It's a shame that it takes something like this to make us appreciate life, but that seems to be the human condition.

9:09 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home