Friday, May 28, 2010

The Babies are Coming

Oh, my babies are coming today! In a few hours, they'll be here, all cranky from the ride, with the need to run about and see all they haven't seen since last fall.

My beautiful wife will be here. I love it when she comes up- she doesn't much care for the intense rustic experience but after the events earlier this week, she said, dammit, we're all going up.

She loves me.

Last night, I went to Donald's house and he made a fabulous Pad Thai. He invited his neighbors to come play eucher. They are two wonderful people who have been married 47 years, and without an ounce of pretension in them. I wouldn't call them the salt of the earth because Mary's colorful language is way saltier than the earth. They are simply real.

When I say I laughed last night, I mean I LAUGHED. There were no deep discussions about life, pain, death, or even great love. Just fun stories about folks around here, and a statement about being "tough as tripe," which I found so hysterical I had to write it down.

Not really sure why today, but it was funny last night.

There was a particularly good story told about how, when the drug runner who previously owned Donald's house, invited them down to taste wine. It was clear this guy had a serious collection. He poured and asked, and after a bunch of wine, what do you think? Obviously eager to hear some great accolades about the fruit, tannins, and how rain makes such a difference, Mary said, You got any raspberry ripple? I do love raspberry ripple.

I almost wet my pants.

By this morning, I realized everything has fallen off my shoulders. I don't feel like a bad person anymore.

I'm going to take a nice, hot shower and start cooking some dinner for the crew. I can't wait to see them all.

Tomorrow? I'm gonna find some raspberry ripple to leave at Mary's door.

5 Comments:

Blogger Ms. Moon said...

Raspberry Ripple- Fred Sanford's favorite vintage. Love it!
I am thinking of you, I am sending good thoughts to you and your wife and your babies and am hoping that all is as peaceful as the flat sea under a beautiful twilight.

8:16 PM  
Anonymous donald said...

if you can't find the raspberry ripple, she would settle for gin!

was a fun night for sure, see you somehow forgot to mention the guys beat the women at euchre!

wish we would have taken some shots of that beautiful full moon shimmering over the ocean.

9:04 PM  
Anonymous lez zorba said...

Have a blast and Happy you know what!

9:36 AM  
Blogger Sara said...

last night was even better donald- the moon was orange as it poked up from behind the island.

amazing.

gotta be ripple.

and um... YES THE MEN WON.

but we were far funnier.

1:09 PM  
Blogger Bethany said...

Sweet!

3:26 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home