Wednesday, November 29, 2006

Score!

I so scored tonight. How you ask? You won’t believe it. The Wall Street Journal.

Seriously.

There is an article in today’s Journal about the PlayStation 3 vs. the Wii. I gave it to Ben to read.

Why? He asked.

I need to know. Go read it and tell me about it.

He did.

During his report, Zachary showed up. What are you talking about?

Mom gave me some work to do. I read about PlayStation 3 and the Wii. The Wii definitely rocks.

Why?

Here, read it, Ben handed the paper to Zachary.

Is your homework done? Jeanine asked from the other room.

Zachary paused. No, not yet.

No reading the paper until you’re done.

Awwwww…

I listened to the rest of Ben’s report. I thought the newspaper was just boring stuff, Ben confided. This is really cool. I thought I wanted the PlayStation but now I want the Wii.

Do you know how many PlayStations will be made this year?

No, but the Wii is much cheaper and more fun. You can really do stuff with the Wii. PlayStation – borrrring.

Good to know, I said. Thank you.

Zachary just came running in. I’m done with my homework. Can I read the paper?

Such a score. Hands over the head, touchdown! My kids are interested in the newspaper. Not any newspaper but the Wall Street Journal.

Did you notice the part about Jeanine calling out from the other room?

A surprise entrance. We all had dinner together. The boys were wild and silly.

After I called DINNER TIME, I pulled Jeanine close and said, thank you for being here tonight. It’s so nice. I kissed her.

The boys all ran, EWWWWWWWW.

What’s up with that, I asked as we all sat at the table for dinner.

You were like, making out, Ben informed us with rolled eyes.

We were not.

The kiss lasted, like, more than three seconds. That was making out.

Aren’t you glad we weren’t fighting?

Yeah, Zachary piped in right away.

Oh, that boy gets it.

We had dinner. The table was cleared. I didn’t have to do everything alone. She had to leave to go back to work. I wish she was still here but I’m not angry she’s not here.

I understand something now. It’s not that I need a major commitment of 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. I need an hour or two every day. That’s all. Connected. Present.

The boys are all settled. Reading. Waiting for their turn in the bath. Fully informed about the difference between a PlayStation 3 and a Wii. Disgusted and perhaps a little relieved their mothers were kissing in the kitchen.

We still have a long way to go.

But tonight? I scored.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home