Sunday, November 18, 2007

The Fur Person

Ben was going down to Dunkin Donuts this morning for a croissant because damn, we're all out. Of course, I don't have a winter coat that fits him yet. It’s been so warm this year, I haven’t even thought to make the annual pilgrimage to buy ten pairs of gloves, hats, winter coats, boots. The beauty of hand me downs means I don't look like a total loser mother because at least two of my kids have winter wear at the right time.

I told him to go in the closet and see what fits. He can wear some of Jeanine's stuff. What does he pull out?

My mother's fur coat.

Is it mink? He asks, while putting it on.

Yes.

Is it real?

Yes.

Is it expensive?

Yes.

(I am in SO MUCH trouble with this boy)

Can I wear it?

Not to Dunkin Donuts.

Why?

You can't spill on it Ben.

Is it worth a million dollars?

No, try a couple thousand. And it was your grandmother's so it's irreplaceable.

Notice I don't mention she really gave it to them, not to me.

Can I wear it to downeast?

We are traveling to the bitter cold of downeast Maine for Thanksgiving. A house with no heat, no insulation and the wind off the water. I was eyeing it, too.

Yes.

And then he carefully takes the hanger out of the closet and puts the coat back on it, a behavior I have explained, exhibited and encouraged but never seen from him.

My son, the fur person.

I’m in so much trouble.

(Please note a tip of the hat to May Sarton, as "The Fur Person" is one of my all time favorite books.)

9 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

At least he appreciates the finer things in life!

12:23 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

better keep him away from oysters and cavier

6:12 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

can i wear it while you are here? LOL

5:01 AM  
Blogger Sara said...

Donald, Walter decided that he's look like a bear with an orange hat on, so we thought maybe it would be better to leave it at home.

you know, crazy Maine hunters.

Laura, we've already given him oysters. and his grandmother was feeding him pate when he was ten months old. The damage is done.

8:17 AM  
Blogger Jeffrey said...

He is THAT tall already? Yikes !

9:40 AM  
Blogger Jeffrey said...

He is THAT tall already? :)

9:40 AM  
Blogger Jeffrey said...

He is THAT tall already? :)

9:40 AM  
Blogger Jeffrey said...

He is THAT tall already? :)

9:40 AM  
Blogger Sara said...

yes, he is... he told me he would be taller than me before he leaves middle school.

I think he's going to be right.

4:35 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home