Saturday, December 08, 2007

Baby Fever

Last night, Jeanine and I watched our friend’s two kids. The older boy is Jake’s age and they are best of pals. They love each other like brothers.

No, they are actually nicer to each other than brothers. Best friends.

His younger sister is four. When her mom dropped her off, she was very sleepy. Jeanine took her, sat on the couch with the little girl in her lap, in front of the roaring fire.

I almost- ALMOST- wanted to have another baby.

Seeing Jeanine holding that little girl, and then later, after she fell back asleep, she was stretched out on the couch, under a blanket snoring those soft little baby snores.

Oooooh.

So sweet.

So beautiful.

Can we have another? I asked Jeanine.

Sure, she said.

Mind you, Jeanine is not the person who would stay home with the baby. And sleep has never been high on her list of things to do. Not to mention I’m too old, too perimenopausal.

I have to say, I had a bit of baby fever last night. I looked at that little girl on my couch, all dressed in pink, and had my moment of how much I wished I had a girl. How much I missed the little baby period, the chubby legs, and the tired head placed on your shoulder. The sweet baby smell.

Maybe I’ll get a puppy.

Lot easier than babies. You can put them in a crate and it’s a good thing.

Or a kitten. You don’t even need to put them in a crate.

But for all my friends who are reading this? NO, I am not having another baby.

I think.

6 Comments:

Blogger Career.Nanny said...

My vote is for the baby girl! She's be the belle of the house, your boys would love her, you'd love her and she'd really be easier than a puppy.

If not the baby then a kitten I guess. Puppies have those sharp needle-teeth and no diapers. they just pee and poo everywhere until they are house-trained. And if you get a barker, look out!

Babies wear diapers, start without teeth and while they can cry, you're on it. You have done this before and the more practice you have the better you are. I'm working with two babies, my 59th & 60th, and everything is a repeat. You could definitely do it.

Either way, life's an adventure, right?

9:53 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

you can adopt! what if you had another boy!! i just might have to suspend dad's camp!! LOL of course, by the time he would be able to enjoy dad's camp, ben would be off doing his thing and not wanting to spend any time with us old foogies!!

4:42 PM  
Blogger Laura said...

Deb and I have been talking about it for years. The boys are grown....we want another one...but we arent spring chickens anymore!

*sigh*.....

8:49 PM  
Blogger Sara said...

Laura... have you ever thought of being a foster parent?

10:06 PM  
Blogger Laura said...

Sara - I dont know that my heart could take the risk of having to give back a child I fell in love with...I know that sounds totally selfish.....I guess I am.

And I would LOVE to go thru the whole pregnancy and planning stage.

8:37 AM  
Blogger Suzy said...

I have two daughters you can borrow for a while just to see how it will be once they are out of that chubby cute baby stage. Guarented to change your mind.
And then there is Sean with his shirley temple curls.

3:22 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home