Wednesday, December 05, 2007

Celebration



Tonight we are going to a party.

I mean a PARTY.

We, in Massachusetts, are celebrating the last three years of gay marriage rights, AND the unbelievable victory on June 17th, 2007 when MORE than three-quarters of the state legislature voted PRO-GAY MARRIAGE.

The Legislature defeated the ballot initiative that would have left the rights of a minority up to a majority by a vote of 151 to 44.

I’m taking my oldest son, Ben, with me tonight. Not only because he helped with a fundraising event at our house, being asked to help serve and clear the dinner-

I have to clear the plates? He asked in horror. I didn't even get to eat at the table!

But also because it’s a historic night. My god, who out there thought we’d have gay marriage in our lifetime? I didn’t. It was a dream, sure, but it was like asking Santa for a pony.

No one really gets a pony.

Well, except for Allan, one of the kids dads. But that’s another story.

Tonight, we are going celebrate being the first state in the country to have gay marriage. We’re going to celebrate the 151 state legislators that voted against discrimination, who are now a part of history.

Gay marriage.

I’m taking my son because I want him to soak it all in, along with too many ginger ales, and way too many grown ups asking him how old he is and does he like school.

It’s not about being gay or straight or bisexual. It’s about civil rights. It’s about equality for everyone. Same rules, across the board, no messing around with different words or titles, same access to insurance, to benefits, to visitation, to divorce, to government benefits…

Oops. Not true. No government benefits. I guess we know what the next step is…

But tonight? We dance!

5 Comments:

Blogger Ms. Moon said...

Congratulations! Now if the rest of the country could just catch up and then we could all move on to a place where everyone has the same rights as every one else.
Some people do get ponies, don't they?

5:55 PM  
Blogger Christy said...

Damn well you should dance!!

Enjoy the celebration and have way to many (ginger) ales.

8:43 PM  
Blogger Ulla said...

Congratulations. I have sort of gotten used to the idea, as we have had registered partnership in Denmark since 1989. Now we want to push for it all being the same laws, and the same name - no differences. The differences are few and very small, though.

2:13 AM  
Blogger Sara said...

Ulla, first, I have to gush for a moment- I love Denmark. As a high school student, I had a chance to do a brief exchange program and stayed with a Danish family (Silkeborg) for a week.

Out of all the countries I traveled to, I loved Denmark because the people were the most kind, most open. The Netherlands easily came in a close second.

Having a separate name, and simply for same sex partnerships still draws a line, like drinking fountains labeled for white or black.

Separate is never equal.

10:26 AM  
Blogger Ulla said...

Thank you for your kind memories.
Still, we were very, very proud to be the first country to implement any kind of marriage right for gay couples. It still brings tears to my eyes to think of the two elderly gentlemen, who had worked tirelessly and fearlessly for gay equality their whole lives, and were wed as the first couple.
I was a member of the party that brought the legislation forward, and I worked in a very small capacity to make it happen. I was so proud of my party and my country after that vote, but now we have to move on and create full equality. Good luck with your fight in the US.

1:03 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home