Friday, August 22, 2008

On a Quiet Walk Home

We're walking back from Perkins Cove tonight, slowly, chatting, talking about school. Ben, Zachary, Jake, Jeanine and I.

A guy in a van drives by. Shouts out. Stops.

Guy says, Hey hey hey woman....

We have our KIDS with us.

I smile, wave and say, Thanks, we're all set.

He stays.

No really, we're good.

I like your friend, he says to me.

Yeah, I like her too. Bye!

Guy finally drives off.

Jeanine pulls the boys in taking advantage of a teachable moment. If you ever see any of your friends talking to girls who are not interested...

That's so weird, Ben said.

It's what women have to live with, Jeanine said. Did I look like I was looking for a guy?

Ewww, all the boys said in unison.

That's how it feels to have someone check you out, I said. It's not nice.

It's a moment that will stick in those three, white, privileged boys minds. I'm grateful.

Even if it didn't feel very good.

Labels: , ,

3 Comments:

Blogger Rev. Bob said...

You and Jeanine are the best parents in the world.

6:37 AM  
Blogger Seda said...

It sucks so when things like this happens - I feel sad for that, but then, I'm so happy to see you turn this into something positive! I can see the cycle breaking...

And from former posts, I know at least one of your boys has the courage to intervene with peers who also happen to be boors.

best to you.

4:32 PM  
Blogger Sue J said...

Kudos for seeing the teachable moment!

5:21 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home