Sunday, November 02, 2008

Too Much Hate

I drove up to Oakley, California today to check polling locations and also went through Pittsburg, and Bentwood, all small towns north of San Francisco.

It was the hardest day I've had here, by far.

Everywhere there were Yes on 8 signs, no where No on 8 signs. Neighborhood after neighborhood, signs were on lawns of suburban houses not unlike my own. I came across two small Yes on 8 "rallies" at intersections, and people where honking and cheering in support.

I wanted to cry.

I feel so hopeless right now. It is an old feeling the roots from long, long ago. I'm surprised it has not come up before now. Maybe because I still had more to give, more to do, more to write.

I don't. I'm exhausted by the argument that I'm a normal human being. I swear, I'm going to go shave my head. Why bother trying to fit in? What good does it do? I have no more money to give and I leave tomorrow to go home.

Over and over, I saw little suburban boxes all lined up. How easily I could be in one of those houses. How many LGBT people are in them? One in ten, as they say, feels so lonely. I hope there are two in twenty- or more.

This fight will leave deep scars. No matter what.

We almost had to do this in Massachusetts. How many of my neighbors would have put up the hateful signs? I like to think none but I know I would have driven by some every day.

It feels like "You don't belong." Countless numbers of LGBT youth kill themselves over that message every year.

I am deeply grateful to all those who worked on the Massachusetts campaign. I feel even more protective of my state- we can never let this happen.

I don't want to take away the right of those twenty men on one corner, all shouting out cruel things. I only want to have the same rights. Why is that so threatening? If you don't want to be married to someone, then don't do it! Is that really rocket science?

It was a hard day today. The polls show this so close every single vote will count. Driving around, I have never felt so hated before in my life. Just because of who I love.

The campaign office is still full of energy and enthusiasm. I'm certain a great deal comes from Red Bull and coffee, but not a single person has let up.

If we lose on Tuesday, it won't be because there was not enough effort. It will be because there is too much hate.

Labels: , , , ,

9 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Its a very hard reality -

this is 2008 - and still such ignorance exists.

6:59 PM  
Blogger Sue J said...

I think Laura is right -- it's ignorance as much as it is hate. What you are doing by educating people is priceless.

Sounds like you're feeling exhausted, but try to remember how far we have come in even just the past 10-15 years. And your sons will always remember what you are doing.

7:20 PM  
Blogger Sara said...

I think it's both, sue. I mean, you see the rage in these peoples faces...it's not just ignorance.

it's hate.

7:45 PM  
Blogger Sue J said...

Oh -- I know there is hate. I don't mean to imply there isn't. Those red-faced lunatics who shout hateful things can't be reasoned with. But their children can, and their neighbors can. I think (I hope?) that the ignorance outnumbers the hate.

7:49 PM  
Blogger Tim and Louie said...

Sara, thank you for all of your hard work and effort to help protect my right to marry in the State of California.

I'm confident that JUSTICE will truly prevail Tuesday night and that my partner of 12 years and I will remain married on Wednesday, November 5th!

Like any minority group, our struggle for equal treatment under the law will not be easy to win. But, we are winning! In my wildest dreams would I see 3 whole States in America that offer same-gender civil marriages!

California WILL NOT FALL!

When the final numbers are tallied, I don't think it will be razor thin margins either! WE WILL WIN BIG!!!

FIGHT THE HATRED! Be proud! Be out! Be happy to be OUT and PROUD! Let your PRIDE SHOW!

They can only be comfortable with us if they know who we are and that we are everywhere!

Awesome job, Sara!!!!

Have a safe and HAPPY trip back home!

YOU MADE A HUGE DIFFERENCE!!!

Thank you!

Louie and Tim
Phoenix, AZ

9:45 PM  
Blogger Sara said...

I hope you are right, Sue. Kids have to be taught hate.

and louie and tim... THANK YOU.

1:08 AM  
Blogger Rev. Bob said...

Marriage equality is radical. As soon as a dominant male with his happily submissive female partner see marriage as a partnership between equals, it causes them to doubt the whole concept they were brought up to believe.

We must win because people, all of us, have a hunger for equality, freedom, and full humanity.

Thank you for helping show all of us the way.

2:50 AM  
Blogger Landlady of Fat said...

I'm so sorry you have to bear witness to this.

Our government should be stepping in and putting a stop to all this.

Our government should be swooping in and saying, NO to inequality and f#ck the voting sh!t that just makes fight amongst ourselves.

Ugh. Disgusting.

10:05 AM  
Blogger Suzy said...

I worried about you and wanted to give you a big warm hug to help repel all that bad hate. Hate is learned no question about it. And I find the number one spreader of it seems to be the ones who preach Gods Love. (man I so want to use quotation marks but can't anymore lol). All we can do is educate and tolerate and hopefully come out on top of this because people will begin to see the hate as the big green ugly monster it really is.
Love you, sooooooooo proud of you, safe trip home.
ttfn

10:23 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home