Saturday, November 01, 2008

Playing Hooky

I played hooky today. I did. I'm sorry if I let down everyone but I am in San Francisco and the light was perfect for taking pictures.

Plus I had to get my kids some kind of gift after being away for so long.

I started in Chinatown.



We have a Chinatown in Boston but it's nothing like this. While the rain started to come down, the bright images in the windows and on the street jumped out.



I am a devote meat eater and have no shame about it. But I have to say, I'd rather have my duck without the head.



Waiting at an intersection to cross, a young man asked me if I went to Berklee College of Music because I had a sweatshirt on with their emblem. No, I said, my wife works there. Seems he was a student there for a couple years.

Great place, he said. I miss it.

I often think people in San Francisco have it made but he went on to say the culture and the history of the city was second to none in this country. I'd have to agree.

Although where else are you going to find a place where Buddha goes for cocktails?



I made my way down to the wharf because I had to have an In-n-Out burger. Again, what's the point of being in San Francisco without a taste of the elusive burger chain's double double?

I walked in and while waiting for my order, a woman about my age (I will NOT say middle aged) with her son asked me if I was from Boston.

Again, the Berklee sweatshirt which by now was completely soaked.

They had just moved from Boston and said while they did not miss the winter, it was these misty, rainy days that brought back fond memories.

I'm not sure what that says about our weather.



I should have saved some room because the crabs looked great. The smell of baking sourdough bread in the air was thick, too.



Just so you know, when it rains, the birds clearly decide to sit on your roof here, rather than soar overhead to dive bomb it with their waste. These two had no fear and were not giving up their perch on a brand new PT Cruiser.

Nice.



After ducking into a store to get the boys some tee shirts, I finally gave up and took a cab. Drenched from head to toe, my camera under my sweatshirt, I avoided any conversation. Not only was he jabbering away at ninety miles per hour on his cell phone in a language I did not recognize, he had clearly just finished a cigarette in the cab. Oh my.

My wife is always on me about stinky cabs. How much she hates them, she'd rather figure out the public transit. Today she was right.

Tomorrow is another day of checking out polling locations. I have no idea where yet but will get my marching orders in the morning. Yesterday was over 30 sites. I got paranoid at one point, cruising suburban neighborhoods, pulling over, writing stuff down.

What would the cops say?

I feel guilty- there are countless people who have been working at this so much longer than I have. Day in and day out, and have been away from their families longer. There are other folks from Massachusetts here working hard.

But the light was great and I simply could not resist.

5 Comments:

Blogger Ms. Moon said...

Don't feel guilty. Just don't do that.

9:00 PM  
Blogger Sara said...

oh, easier said than done. others have put their everything into this.

I needed a break. no, I wanted a break.

but the picts are great and I went to grace cathedral and am getting together a great piece for tomorrow- and for huffington- it brought me to a new place.

9:03 PM  
Blogger Suzy said...

multi tasking, getting the most out of your visit. Everybody needs a break and you have gone above and beyond the average voter to work hard for what you believe in. What is it they say that you are no good to anybody else unless you take care of yourself first. I am still trying to figure out how to do that. We each do what we can to help and poop poop on the person who would fault you for anything. They are probably just over achievers. Enjoy.
ttfn

6:29 AM  
Blogger Sue J said...

Great photos -- thanks for sharing them with us!

And taking a break makes you better at what you're doing. Simple as that. Enjoy your time there.

7:59 AM  
Blogger Sara said...

guilt done. going back out today. more polling locations. then home tomorrow...

10:57 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home