Tuesday, January 20, 2009

My Favorite Moment of the Day

Did anyone catch Marian Robinson, the First Grandmother, today? Did you see what she wore?

A purple coat. And a red scarf, mittens... it didn't pass unnoticed. I can only imagine a little humor as she donned these items.

It reminded me, at least, of a poem by Jenny Joseph...

Warning- When I am an Old Woman I Shall Wear Purple

When I am an old woman, I shall wear purple

with a red hat that doesn't go, and doesn't suit me.

And I shall spend my pension on brandy and summer gloves

and satin candles, and say we've no money for butter.

I shall sit down on the pavement when I am tired

and gobble up samples in shops and press alarm bells

and run my stick along the public railings

and make up for the sobriety of my youth.

I shall go out in my slippers in the rain

and pick the flowers in other people's gardens

and learn to spit.

Of course, Mrs. Robinson was nothing but gracious and smiling through the whole day. No sticks along railings, by any means. But I have to wonder if she knew what she was doing today when she chose the colors she would wear.

At least I hope she did...

2 Comments:

Blogger Adventures in Babymaking said...

Those were my thoughts as well. Absolutely fabulous.

7:10 PM  
Blogger In_Flight said...

You know, I didn't, although I'm sure she looked amazing.

Mrs Biden (Jill), also looked stunning. Not to take attention away from Michelle, but there were a lot of well dressed people in the Obama administration.

4:31 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home