Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Evil Plan is Working...

So far, the week has been great. Ben and I have been chillin' and it's nice. Last night, we argued about whether to watch "John Tucker Must Die" or "Million Dollar Baby."

I won.

He watched on and off. He kept running into the other room to check his IM account. But when he was in the living room, he snuggled with me on the couch. It's been a long time since he's done that.

When the movie got to the VERY sad part, I started to cry. Okay, I started to sob. Sad is not the word for it. I could only imagine having to make that kind of choice with a child of mine and I could not do it.

Simply could not.

Ben was amused and somewhat concerned. Why are you crying? He asked.

I explained, I could not do that. I could pull the plug on your grandmother but she had lived her whole life and was old... different. I could not do that for you.

Mom, it's ok. I'm ok.

I know.

You would have liked John Tucker much better, he said.

Um... it's okay to cry at a sad movie.

Today, we went shopping. I'm not much of a shopper and it was a challenge to be interested, but not too interested. If I liked something too much? Back on the shelf. After, we went to lunch.

A nice sit down lunch- he was merciful on me and didn't insist on Burger King.

While we talked about every American Idol contestant that ever was, and what they wore, I slipped in a little drug/peer pressure conversation. He told me one of his friends had been approached to buy "purple haze."

She said no, he reported.

It was awkward, he said.

We talked about ways to get out of that awkward moment. He decided he would simply say, Thanks, already got some.

I'm not sure that's the best answer but it saves face, and I get it.

Overall, my evil plan to spend quality time with him has worked perfectly. I have one question though- what the heck is purple haze?

11 Comments:

Blogger Ms. Moon said...

Purple Haze used to be acid. These days? I don't know. I'll ask my kids.

5:50 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Being gay, I always thought it was some kind of fabulous window treatment...guess not.

6:03 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Looked it up in Urban Slang Dictionary... apparently its a very strong sativa strain of marijuana...whatever sativa is.

6:12 PM  
Blogger Sara said...

I've read acid, and I've read pot.

I'm guessing it was acid.

wish it was a window treatment.

7:00 PM  
Blogger Christy said...

I am guessing it's pot. I haven't heard that in relation to acid in a while...are kids even doing acid anymore? Wow. I feel old all of a sudden!

8:09 PM  
Blogger Sara said...

you and me both. I mean... on one hand I wanted to say a 16 year old (the seller) only had pot.

but on the other, I don't want to be blind.

we need kid input. we are too old, christy. that's just the way it is. be thankful your pumpkin is still so little.

8:54 PM  
Blogger Adventures in Babymaking said...

NoSlang.com Drug Slang Translator says LSD or marijuana. Don't let age fool you. I taught h.s., unfortunately 16 year olds have access to way more than we could imagine.

10:52 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm 24 and these days puple haze is primo weed, our generation isn't big into acid. Hope that helps

11:05 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

glad your week is going well. sorry i didn't make it over to watch idol with you and ben, didn't get out of the pool tournament until 10, and just came home and went to bed.

headed back downeast this morning. enjoy the snowstorm!

7:51 AM  
Blogger Sara said...

thank you lindsay.

I thought so. acid is soooo retro.

8:05 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

sativa strains lke purple haze are a more heady functional weed. the opposite of munchy couch potato weed.

8:48 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home