Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Phenomenal Woman

One of the hardest things I did on Saturday at the Mass Equality gig, was get up on stage, and be in front of 500 people. I've done it before, I'll do it again, but the next day, I always wonder- was I stupid? I did I talk too fast? Did I act like a jerk?

After the night's adrenalin high passes, I always question myself. It's days later and I still wonder, did I do ok? Was I stupid?

I think it's time to let it go. I dug up this poem because I love it and it always makes me hold my head up high.

Phenomenal Woman

Pretty women wonder where my secret lies.
I'm not cute or built to suit a fashion model's size
But when I start to tell them,
They think I'm telling lies.
I say,
It's in the reach of my arms
The span of my hips,
The stride of my step,
The curl of my lips.
I'm a woman
Phenomenally.
Phenomenal woman,
That's me.

I walk into a room
Just as cool as you please,
And to a man,
The fellows stand or
Fall down on their knees.
Then they swarm around me,
A hive of honey bees.
I say,
It's the fire in my eyes,
And the flash of my teeth,
The swing in my waist,
And the joy in my feet.
I'm a woman
Phenomenally.
Phenomenal woman,
That's me.

Men themselves have wondered
What they see in me.
They try so much
But they can't touch
My inner mystery.
When I try to show them
They say they still can't see.
I say,
It's in the arch of my back,
The sun of my smile,
The ride of my breasts,
The grace of my style.
I'm a woman

Phenomenally.
Phenomenal woman,
That's me.

Now you understand
Just why my head's not bowed.
I don't shout or jump about
Or have to talk real loud.
When you see me passing
It ought to make you proud.
I say,
It's in the click of my heels,
The bend of my hair,
the palm of my hand,
The need of my care,
'Cause I'm a woman
Phenomenally.
Phenomenal woman,
That's me.

Maya Angelou

9 Comments:

Blogger Judith B said...

Awesome, thank you.

And I doubt you'd ever look bad up on stage. Ever. Would love to hear you sometime.
take care
-Jude

10:23 AM  
Blogger Cathy Whitman said...

Now how strange is that?!?

You say "Phenomenal Woman" and I always ALWAYS picture you!

Although that has to be my all time fav poem, and the best thing Maya ever wrote, it does not even come close to explaining how phenomenal you are!

That wondering if your good enough, or wondering if you were good enough comes from our childhood crap. I experience it often, and it is sad.

Look up that speech by Nelson Mandela that starts with something about how what we REALLY fear is how great we are!
We grew up being shot down when we should of been pumped up, and unless you know who validated us, it never seemed good enough.

Spend some time reflecting on how it may have been if we were raised differently, to know how great and strong we are, and then realize that you acheived it anyways, all on your own!

Your right to let it go, although it takes work and time. Every time you experience that, don't miss a chance to tell yourself how great you are and how great you did! Soon it will be second nature.

Just the fact that you were brave enough to get up there is more than 80% of the people in this world can do, which of course, makes you PHENOMENAL!

I love you my Seester

1:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You did great...there was no wet glass ring on your crotch!

1:38 PM  
Blogger Rev. Bob said...

/One of the hardest things I did on Saturday at the Mass Equality gig, was get up on stage, and be in front of 500 people/

Karaoke makes me nervous too.

You are indeed a phenomenal woman. WANT slides/notes/videos/audios. Please?

2:08 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

stop worrying, you did just fine!

2:31 PM  
Blogger Sara said...

oh god, I hope I didn't have some wet crotch ring! I didn't sit down for more than five minutes all night...

4:47 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Can we please photos of the GAYLA?

7:56 PM  
Blogger Rev. Bob said...

Was anyone else who heard "Phenomenal woman" tempted to break into a parody of "American Woman", a song that badly needs de-horribilifying?

9:22 PM  
Blogger Sara said...

trying to get gayla photos...

8:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home