Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Boys are to Dogs as Socks are to...

My charming son Zachary came in this morning, sat in my office and let rip an enormous fart.

Raising boys can be so... charming sometimes. They get mad when I say boys are like having dogs- but I mean it in a good way. Dogs are loyal- my beanie girl is currently sitting at my feet, as always. Boys are loyal too- I mean, not any more or less than girls but I'm trying to say something nice here.

Mind you, I just had my office bombed.

I can remember when the kids were young, and my friend, the martha stewart of parenting, would call and say, yes, the girls are in the house coloring...

it would be a day where it was snowing/raining/hailing/hurricane- you decide. My boys would no more sit down to a day of arts and crafts than fly to the moon. Well, they wanted to fly to the moon, that was the problem.

I'd be getting my kids into whatever gear needed- snowsuits, rain boots, protective goggles- to take them outside. See, like dogs, they needed to go out, no matter what.

I was always jealous of my friend. Her girls were so low key. It's not any different today. My kids still need to be run daily. Loafing around all day leads to major fights at night because their energy levels haven't been tapped all day. And we've moved into some special behavior- farting for instance- which hold appeal I believe until they reach their 40's.

Right now, I'm looking out in my front hall and there are shoes, and flip flops, and dirty socks, and an old Halloween costume on the floor. I'll never have a clean house. Ever again.

Dogs, I tell you, are a lot tidier. Sure, they shed but they don't wear socks.

Oh, I know. I wouldn't trade them for anything in the world. And like my dog, they will end up well trained.

You can bet on that.

11 Comments:

Blogger Ms. Moon said...

I bet on that.

8:06 AM  
Anonymous Kori said...

I don't believe the farting appeal ever leaves; my partner/BF/whatever the hell you call him STILL does it; he and the three year old have contests. And my ONE girl? Yeah-her too. Sigh...I, too, gave up on having a clean house after kid #2; with four now, three of them boys, I just hope the house is still standing at the end of the day.

Hope you and your seester are holding up okay. I have been kind of lurking and have been thinking of ALL of you.

10:33 AM  
Anonymous donald said...

think how my mom felt, she had 5 of them, plus one daughter thrown in for good measure! she is 94 and still lives to tell about it, so you will get through it too!

was glad to hear from allan that his surgery went well.

12:00 PM  
Blogger Sara said...

we just stopped by and said hello to allan... he's happy happy happy.

at least today; I hope he feels as good tomorrow.

6:12 PM  
Anonymous Martha said...

Don't be fooled by Martha's girls. No doubt they fart and leave their shoes all over the house too. They may be more low key than your boys but then again, Martha is slightly low-key herself! :-)

6:13 PM  
Blogger Sue J said...

Boys are to Dogs as Socks are to: _____

(a) other boys
(b) cats
(c) shoes
(d) who wears socks in the summer?

I was never any good at these things.

7:06 PM  
Blogger Rev. Bob said...

Sara, I have bad news for you. We don't grow up. Ever. I just spent a while figuring out whether humankind's greatest achievement was dog whispering or the spork.

8:31 PM  
Blogger Sara said...

Sue

Boys are to Dogs as Socks are to Smell

c'mon girl. makes perfect sense!

and "martha" don't think I don't know you really are the martha in the piece.

8:44 PM  
Blogger Rev. Bob said...

(a) Best wishes to Allan, and

(b) More evidence that we don't grow up:

http://thereifixedit.com/

http://itemnotasdescribed.com/

1:54 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hahahahahaha

awesome.

boys are spectacular!

6:59 PM  
Blogger Suzy said...

yea i have to say so far I haven't seen much training of man here either they still have farting contests and the socks don't go away they just get bigger and stinkier....

8:13 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home