Friday, September 18, 2009

Maine, The Way Life Should Be

I love the sign that marks the entrance into Maine on I95. "Maine: The way life should be." Every time I cross the Piscataqua bridge, I heave a big sigh of relief. I love Maine. Everything about it.

Today, I read a poll that says we are losing the battle in Maine for the ballot question that will take away Marriage Equality in that state. 46 to 48%. And that does not count for the people who will say they are for marriage equality but close the voting curtain and let their real feelings mark the ballot.

The reason why I love Maine so much is because people let other people be. There is an air of libertarian tolerance, not so much based in left wing, progressive thinking as it is in a none of your damn business mindset. I am, surprisingly, a very private person. I like my neighbors, love being able to stop and chat at times, but for the most part, I want to be left alone. I don't want anyone telling me what color I can or cannot paint my house, nor do I feel any need to control someone's choice.

Of course, I'll point out something ugly, but that's all I feel I have the right to do.

The question of marriage equality in Maine, to me, is just that. None of any one's business. It's a legal contract, no religious institution is bound by it, and it benefits families. The churches so adamant in discussion a political vote are risking their C3, nonprofit status. No one is making them do that and the laws are very clear.

I can't help but mention here in Massachusetts not only have we not had plagues of locusts, we also have all our churches. Not one was shut down or overrun by homosexual activists.

Not one.

I don't know if anyone from the anti-equality side realizes this, but we are going to have families whether we have rights nor not. Our kids are going to go to public schools, whether or not the right to marry is repealed. Your kids are going to be sitting next to our kids in class. They will learn about different families. The chance to stop that... well... was never a possibility. You can fight to change the curriculum to include God, creationism, and prayer but our kids are still going to have two moms or two dads, and there isn't a damn thing you can do to change that.

So all those precious images of the little red school house where everyone was uniform and the same are over no matter what laws are passed. I've been to my kids classrooms and nary a single pink triangle or rainbow flag or utterance of anything LGBT has ever happened. But all the kids know my sons have two moms.

And you know, I still believe without the fear mongering and the ridiculous tactics of the other side, most Mainers wouldn't vote to change this. They would complain, gossip, argue but not change the law. Not because they don't care- oh, they care- but because a decision has been made, they voted those people in there to make such decisions and what is done is done.

Doesn't mean you can't think it's ugly, like the color of your neighbor's house. Just means you don't have a right to change it.

Let's face it, marriage rights are simply going to be a reality, one way- state by state- or another- with federal recognition. While I won't hold my breath waiting for the federal work to happen, I do believe it will. Soon.

Maine is a beautiful state. It long ago captured my heart. I believe people in that state, for the most part, are fair minded. I hope this November they vote to continue the live and let live atmosphere I have come to appreciate deeply.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Lez Zorba said...

Sara, This is an op-ed.

12:01 PM  
Blogger Ms. Moon said...

Me too. Me too.

12:45 PM  
Anonymous donald said...

i don't believe in the polls, last time we were up big and lost by a slim margin. i have faith that most of the people of this wonderful state don't want to tell each other how to live. we are working hard to get out the vote and hard to get our straight friends and neighbors on our side. time will tell, but like you said, we are not going away either way!

2:43 PM  
Blogger LiteralDan said...

I agree completely, and I have my own agnostic faith that right will prevail, at the polls in Maine and eventually everywhere.

I used to live in Maine, and I was so happy they did this even if they waited till after I left, depriving me of the ability to vote for it.

11:06 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home