Saturday, September 05, 2009

Quick Story

I'm getting ready to have some fun today. Not much fun has been had lately and today, fun is on the highest order. I have some ribs in the oven, after having been patted down with a homemade dry rub (no, I'll never tell), to bake at a very low temp till about 5pm today, when I'll hand them over to Walter who is the rib maker extraordinaire.

I invited a bunch of people to Walter and Allan's. I called Allan and said, So... you do love me, right?

An impromptu party is the best of who we are. How can you go wrong with ribs?

Life has been kind of a mess this week. My sister went back into the hospital for a brief stay, another procedure, everything is fine. Just sucked the fun out of life for a little bit.

I'm trying to stay focused on my boys. Jake has the most adorable hair cut ever on the face of the earth, and is all excited about school. He hung out with his pal who is also in the same class at school yesterday. They were both a little nervous and excited. At least I think so because the friend puked on the back porch, just a little, and then was all fine. I'm easy, I got a hose, cleaned up boy and deck, and I was all fine, too.

Ben is quite upset at the prospect of having to go to bed at 10pm AND hand over his cell phone. I mean... do you think I'm that stupid? No more facebook updates at 2AM for him. As much as he complained last night about getting in the routine, he's still sound asleep. I'm not saying a word about being right.

And Zachary... that boy. He is all geared up for his new school. Cell phone- he'll be taking the T home- and laptop computer. Yes, the school requires it for 6th graders. He went to orientation the other day and had a blast. Like me, he had to be twenty minutes early, then miserable when he was twenty minutes early. Luckily, at camp one of his cabin mates is also going to the same school.

And that's what my quick story is about... I received a note from Zachary's counselor at camp. He told a story about Zachary that brought tears to my eyes. The counselor described one of the cabin chats with all the boys from their cabin sitting blindfolded in a circle, with one camper without a blindfold in the middle. The counselors asked different questions of this one boy in the middle. When it was Zachary's turn, he was asked to tap someone he loved on the shoulder. Zachary stood, thought for a second, then tapped every one of his cabinmates.

I love all my children. I know each one has some remarkable talents and great potential. There is something so ... kind about Zachary. Trust me, he whines about taking the dogs out, or emptying the dishwasher, or eating broccoli. He's not a saint. But there is a core to that boy that is truly unique.

That's all. I'm off to make potato salad. Do a little running. Find the cat and feed her three pills which is always a treat.

9 Comments:

Blogger Ms. Moon said...

Oh. Have FUN!

10:14 AM  
Blogger Suzy said...

enjoy the day to the fullest!!

12:35 PM  
Anonymous donald said...

you know allan, everything must be done in advance. we have just finished setting up the table for 18! a 12 foot centerpiece! looks beautiful, can't wait till you guys all get here. time for a quick nap. zzzzzzzzz

3:41 PM  
Blogger Sara said...

that was a stunning table.

sorry the ribs hadn't cooked enough. bah.

9:52 AM  
Anonymous donald said...

i thought they were delicious. but of course with enough vodka and wine...

2:14 PM  
Blogger Brooke James said...

Zachary sounds like he is a beautiful soul.

3:34 PM  
Blogger Sara said...

zachary has a very very special heart. since he was a baby, I have seen a gentle giant in the making.

and continue to.

6:05 PM  
Blogger Sara said...

oh, and yes, I had the very best of times last night. the weather was perfect, we all sat outside, the wine great, the hor drves LATE (she gets dessert next time), the kids relaxed and the company easy fun and the very very best of all.

6:06 PM  
Blogger Lez Zorba said...

I thought the food was delicious. Ribs, salads and vino were great. Best darn corn I've had all summer. And the company?....even better!

To boot - no mosquitos!!

5:33 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home