Wednesday, August 12, 2009

Back to Life, Back to Reality

My sister will be discharged tomorrow. She's fine. A little difficult, like the sun is a little warm, but overall, everything was a huge success and she's fine.

I took off to Maine for a few days with Ben. This was a week we had planned on being up here together, so we're here.

The first night, I could tell he missed me. He kept stealing sips off my coke, and babbling non-stop about different music artists new songs.

None, I can be certain, that I would ever want to hear. Boody, boody, boody. No thanks.

We hung out and watched the teen choice awards. I gotta say, I have not seen such a group of talentless people before in my life. And did anyone see Britney blow off Miley? We discussed that for a long time over our bowl of popcorn.

Ben has mastered the zen of tanning. I must admit, I have been his teacher. After ample gobs of sunscreen, we go sit.

The sun does not move for you, my son, you must move for the sun.

The water is a balmy 66- and I'm serious, that's balmy up here- so we were in often, even though the waves were not the best. Today, while swimming out way over our heads, he told me it wasn't much fun.

But Ben... I would never let your brothers do this!

I know but... it's just so quiet. I miss the noise.

Want me to scream?

No! That would be so awkward!

We trudged back to shore, to our mediation mats- also known as beach towels.

You miss your brothers, don't you?

Yes, he said.

Can I record that?

NO! I don't really miss THEM, I miss... the noise.

Uh huh.

Mom, don't tell them I missed them.

Ok.

Later this afternoon, I was out cutting the grass. We have a patch of grass that is so small, I use an old fashioned rotary blade- no engine. No need. As I got to a thick patch, out came a 50 foot, garden snake with giant fangs.

Really.

I screamed.

Ben came running out. What is it?

Snake.

I know you won't believe me but REALLY this is a shot of it.



After he was done laughing, I said, see? I can be loud.

Not really the same, Mom.

Maybe it's not really the same but I did give it my best shot. Not on purpose mind you, but I was loud.

Finally, life is starting to get back to normal again. I couldn't take much more of the smell of the hospital, let alone the timelessness of being in one. My sister is well cared for and I took a break. Only a few more weeks of summer until the most blessed event of every mother's life: the first day of school.

We'll see who is screaming then!

9 Comments:

Blogger Sue J said...

Wow. You better call the local wildlife authorities, 'cause that snake looks an awful lot like this one.

9:45 AM  
Blogger Sara said...

big, I'm tellin' ya. very big.

11:36 AM  
Anonymous Jeffrey said...

Uh, when I saw that snake on your front steps a long time ago you thought I was a woos...hmmm...now the truth comes out...and my has he grown in the last 8 years! YIKES!

2:50 PM  
Blogger Sara said...

sorry, I wsa told it is "booty" not "boody"

but the way it sounds ... well... never mind.

5:02 PM  
Anonymous donald said...

that snake story is almost a bad as your fish stories! not buying a bit of it, we don't have snakes that big in maine!

9:23 PM  
Blogger Sara said...

big snake. I'm tellin' ya.

10:02 PM  
Blogger Suzy said...

okay you are brave if I saw a snake like that i would have dropped dead on the spot no screaming involved ewwwww.

8:02 AM  
Blogger Sue J said...

And you should have seen the one that away, right?

5:06 PM  
Blogger Sue J said...

the one that "got" away, that is

(stoopid fingers ...)

5:06 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home