Monday, August 03, 2009

A Special Kind of Person

A quick check in from Downeast Maine... For one, Donald brought some fabulous lobsters over last night and we devoured them.The shells were soft, and they were, as always, cooked perfectly.

Yum.

Even though there was a huge fog bank and the weather was a tad chilly, we sat out on the deck and ate. We have a new table for the deck Walter brought up and we couldn't resist using it.

It's easier to hose down the lobster goo afterwards, too.

The sun came out today and Ben managed to sit in the sun for a while on the rocks out front. One long, huge hunk of smooth stone provided a perfect place.

I can't believe I fell asleep! he said.

That's what pure serenity does to you, I said. He scowled.

The whole cove is filled with lobster buoys. It's the time of year when no matter where you look on the ocean, it's dotted with the multicolored markers. Don't ever touch one, though. They have no problem shooting you and no one up here will feel bad about it.

I wish they felt the same about solar lights. The one Jeanine had put up last year on the bath house was stolen. the thing only cost about twenty bucks- not sure why someone had to help themselves to it but they did.

We had a meeting of all the folks on the point today at our house. Once a year, all the neighbors get together, chat, see who is alive, who isn't, who is in what house. It's very sweet. There is a raffle for a painting every year and the proceeds go to a scholarship for a local student. We had a report on the road- it's a fairly well maintained dirt road but with all the rain of late, it's been pretty washed out.

C'mon. It's Maine. We have no electricity. This is big stuff.

About thirty people showed up, young and old. The one thing that surprised me was how welcoming and accepting everyone is of our unique family. No one raised an eyebrow about our two moms, two dads, three boys family structure.

And some of these folks are OLD. I mean, coming in using walkers, canes, and just happy as can be to say hello, lovely to see you again.

Maybe it's the nature of the place- I mean, no one has hot showers (well, we do but shhhh), everyone makes do with what they have, trips to town are few and far between.

It takes a special kind of person to be here, one older woman said to Allan.

Indeed it does. And, from what I can tell so far, it doesn't matter if you are gay or straight. Doesn't matter if you have kids or dogs, or a boat, or kayak, or solar panels to run your computer. Just that you love it here, that you are committed to keeping this place firmly in the early 1900's.

We are. Very much so. Well, minus the hot showers and solar power.


I just heard from my sister- the surgery may be postponed due to bad scheduling by the doctor. We won't know until tomorrow. But if it is? We'll have a few more days in paradise.

9 Comments:

Anonymous donald said...

was great spending the afternoon and evening with you guys yesterday. a long nap, lobsters, cocktails, pate', great cheeses, gin rummy and the most interesting poop conversation, much to ben's chagrin. and now you won't have any cool breezes blowing through your outdoor bathroom! it was all good.

i was so glad to see the fog burning off early this morning, knowing how miserable your little soiree would have been with everything dripping wet!

bob and mary are all set for a big euchre match tomorrow night, you better be at your best.

since i live here year round, does that make me a special kind of person? lol

8:25 PM  
Blogger Ms. Moon said...

Wait- Where you are sounds so much like Dog Island, Florida that I can hardly believe it. We don't have lobsters but we do have crabs.
Enjoy the serenity-naps.

9:19 PM  
Blogger Christy said...

I really wish we had made it to Downeast while we were over there. I regret that so much!

10:57 PM  
Anonymous Kori said...

I think I would love to be there; it sounds like heaven to me.

11:41 PM  
Anonymous Jeffrey said...

That's what it's all about, pure, innocent, with a few deeply guarded secrets.
So, at the meeting, you didn't lift your shirt did you?

3:43 PM  
Blogger Sara said...

I didn't HAVE to lift my shirt. they all knew I ws a woman. of course, who has taken a hot shower in weeks up here?

only me.

6:10 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hοwdу! ӏ just ωould like to offer yоu а big thumbs uр for thе excellent info уou have gоt here οn this post.
I will be coming baсk to уοur ѕite for mοre
soоn.

Ϻy wеblog - bucket trucks
Check out my webpage ... electric line trucks

5:19 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey! Do you know if they make аnу plugins to
protect against hackeгs? I'm kinda paranoid about losing everything I've ωorkеd hаrԁ on.
Any tips?

http://www.ԁfw-taхicab.com/2011/05/tаxi-serѵice-in-irvіng-tx/
my web site :: irving taxi service

11:45 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I simply cοulԁ not lеave your wеbsіte prіor to suggestіng that I actually еnjoyed the ѕtanԁard info a реrѕon supply on your visitors?
ӏѕ going to be back stеaԁіly in оrder to check up on new рostѕ

Feеl free tο viѕіt my blog :: pregnant and using tens units

4:07 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home