Tuesday, November 03, 2009

In York Maine Today: No on One!



My friend, and fellow board member of Mass Equality, Pete and I hit the road this morning to knock on doors. Specifically, we were in Kittery. The campaign was set up at the York Harbor Inn, and set up with incredible efficiency.

We signed in, were processed, and sent out with marching orders in less than fifteen minutes. Yes, this even included a brief training on how to approach folks.

The sun was out, the air crisp- it doesn't get any better than this for a voting day. We parked and set off in opposite directions. Most people were not home, but those who were were adamantly for No one One. It felt great. One elderly woman said to me, Betta believe I'm votin' no... Making my husband, too.

I think that's what has struck me the most about this campaign, here, in Maine. When I was in California for Prop 8, I didn't see any older, or elderly people. I have, over and over again here. Life long Mainers, who have an opinion and a strong one. Who are at the campaign headquarters, or driving around knocking on doors today, making calls, organizing food, coffee... it's stunning to see.

And they say that's the generation that needs to die off to get marriage equality. I say, come to Maine before you wish that.

So far? I have a very good feeling. The campaign is organized, stocked with volunteers, and running smoothly. It's a perfect day to vote.

Labels: , , , , ,

3 Comments:

Blogger Rev. Bob said...

Our 3 great allies are education, urbanization, and the Grim Reaper. This time, despite the concentration of the Mormon Catholic Church in urban areas, we won there. We lost the rural areas.

12:22 PM  
Blogger Monty said...

HUG

12:43 PM  
Blogger phil said...

York is beautiful. My family used to vacation at York Beach every summer, over by Nubble Light.

7:38 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home