Thursday, March 04, 2010

Compromise

Compromise. I realize that is the name of the game these days. LGBT issues are now the third rail of politics, right along with abortion.

I'm not against it, it's just that there are times I think you cannot compromise without losing your integrity. I don't like that.

After the last few days of negotiations here in Massachusetts, I have come to understand why politicians lose their way. I look at David Patterson of New York and I get it. Eventually, all the compromises eat away at your sense of right and wrong.

Doesn't give him an excuse- some of the allegations are pretty horrific. But when you dance with that line often enough, you lose yourself.

I don't ever want that to happen to me.

I know now that the good guys aren't always good guys. A friend who is a lawyer said that law school is designed to take away your soul. I don't know if that's true, I am not a lawyer.

Politics will take away your soul, too. It's a big game of negotiations and no one wants to lose. Getting on the losing side too many times means you are no longer effective. I know I don't want the good guys to be without strength.

But at what cost?

I'm not sure.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home