Thursday, April 22, 2010

Key West: Day... um... I dunno anymore

I hit that place in vacation where I actually calm down. It feels good. Only problem is, Jake has a fever. Poor baby. We were suppose to go parasailing today- perhaps it's the gods telling us no.

It's been great here. The weather could not be more perfect. The kids have been getting along- mostly. We've yet to have any food I could say was amazing, but all has been fine.

Today will be a quiet day- not quite sure what to do with fever boy. Can't take him out in the sun for any extended period and can't imagine sitting in a hotel room all day.

In Massachusetts, the trans rights bill has finally gained some momentum. Once gay rights friendly Charlie Baker, is now trolling for the conservative votes he thinks got Scott Brown elected. He calls the bill the "bathroom bill" which is so far from the truth one has to wonder if he's taking talking points from Sarah Palin.

Someone should remind him that it didn't get her elected- only a prime slot on Saturday Night Live to be ridiculed.

I'm not allowed to discuss politics while on vacation. The boys have threatened to put my hand in a bucket of cold water while I'm sleeping if I do. Good thing they don't read the blog.

After two deaths in our state by young kids who were bullied ruthlessly, one would think the rhetoric would tone done a little. It is painful, and hurts deeply. It is no way to set an example for our children.

But Governor Patrick has not only seen the light, but is using this as a issue to differentiate himself from his opponents. It is about fairness and justice, he says. Not only will he sign the bill, he has sent out a fundraising appeal stating his support of the bill.

THAT is my Massachusetts. And that is my governor. I wish he would chat with his pal down in DC that equality and civil rights are something to proudly use as campaign slogans.

Today we will lay low. I'll sneak a few peeks at the press on the trans bill- shhh, don't tell the kids.

In the very very near future, Massachusetts will once again be the state that I love so dearly.

And safe for all.

3 Comments:

Blogger Ms. Moon said...

Your lips to god's ear, baby.

9:26 AM  
Anonymous donald said...

enjoy your last couple days in paradise! hope jake is feeling better soon. there will always be a chance to parasail at a later date, it is such fun!

1:04 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You are there when you can't find your watch or phone and don't really care.

1:45 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home