Tuesday, November 20, 2007

All Better- Especially in Orange

A new battery for the solar power, a huge bed of coals from the constant fire, and a nice hot shower- life is grand.

Allan and I fetched water today from the community pump. He had bought a water test kit and we compared it to Poland Spring water. It's as good but I hate to point out the source of Poland Spring is next to a superfund site but why split hairs.

When I arrived last night, Walter was walking around in muck boots, his heavy bathrobe, a knit cap that looks like (on purpose) a jester's cap, and an orange vest. Ben is going to be horrified when he gets here. All he needs to do is pull on the calico apron and Ben will sit in the car, refusing to enter the building. The other night he said he’d rather be dead then out of fashion- that means wearing orange for hunting season. I wonder how he’ll react to all of his parents in twenty layers of flannel and... uh...bathrobes in some cases, to keep warm.

And in orange. Even Buster, Allan’s tiny dog has a florescent bow around his neck. I know, it’s not squirrel season but you can never be too careful up here. Donald told me a story of a woman who was shot in her back yard putting out laundry with white mittens on and a fur coat. Hunters got off scot-free because “everyone knows better than to dress like that during hunting season.”

Makes you want to wear orange sitting in the house.

The living room is a toasty 60 degrees and the hand crank, solar radio is playing a beautiful piece by Mendelssohn. Walter is cooking dinner, and the dining room is warm enough to sit at the table.

The baby loons from the summer are almost grown. It’s 4:30pm and dark, just an edge of purple on the horizon. I can’t wait for Jeanine and the boys to get here tomorrow. Jake will want to do some painting. Zachary promised to bring his Greek Mythology book up so we could both read it.

Mostly? I can’t wait to see Ben’s face.

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

i hope i am there when ben arrives and sees what he will be putting up with for the next couple days! we certainly were a sight for sore eyes sitting by the fire last night, all bundled up in an array of outfits! he will survive it though.

5:31 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I always love your descriptions of it there...sounds wonderful.

7:10 PM  
Blogger Laura Zigman said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

7:13 PM  
Blogger Suzy said...

You would not like living with me then I guess. The pellet stoves do an okay job of keeping the house around 63 to 65 when the wind isn't blowing. lol we live on top of a freakin hill lol. But it still sounds like a great place to spend thanksgiving. A fantastic excuse to cuddle for the next few days. Happy Turkey Day.
ttfn

10:57 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Listen, I know you're cold and wearing a lot of orange, but I'm ready for some photos already....

11:01 PM  
Blogger Sara said...

you know, I ahve a great one of walter, and the dogs and will pose for one myself but I don't have the juice or the connection speed to transfer them. will have to wait till saturday for a full photo spread.

promise to post, though.

and as a note, I did not delete the comment on the site. I never delete comments unless it is clearly spam.

10:43 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home