Wednesday, November 21, 2007

Recipe for Sadness

How to get really sad:

Take some Smithfield country ham slices. Only Smithfield. Most of cooking is about ingredients. Simple is better but then each thing you add makes a huge difference.

You need a cast ion skillet. I have to admit, I do not have one at home. It can takes years to season one. I had one and my ex-girlfriend took it. I got the rolling pin. I think I lost on that deal.

Over moderate heat, fry the ham slices. Get 'em crispy, brown on the edges. You don't want the pan too hot, because then you end up with hockey puck like ham. Take ham out and add either water or black coffee. True red eye gravy is made with coffee. I also put syrup on my grits, so as a Yankee, I use water. It depends on how much ham you cooked, but for three big slices, you'd use about 3/4's cup.

You have to eye it.

Crank the heat, deglaze the pan, and add more if it gets too thick, you want it to be thicker than water, but it's never going to get too much thicker.

Pour over the ham. Serve with biscuits, lots of butter and hot coffee.

In the end, miss your mom who taught you how to make it. That’s the sad part.

Keep large quantities of water nearby for the rest of the day, as it's more salt than you've consumed in a year.

A friend said, to restock for tears. I think she's right.

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

it is sad...but the memory keeps you company.

The holidays always make me think of those I miss...

Hang in there....sending hugs

10:02 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh My GOSH!

I love that post.....thanku:)

10:53 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

when you have sad moments like that, remember all the good times, and that you are today surrounded by a very loving family!!

7:17 AM  
Blogger Ms. Moon said...

Hey. Just finding your blog. Nice one!
I wanted to say that as a Southern gal, I think this whole iron-skillet-seasoning thing has been blown way out of proportion. Here's the deal: Get an iron skillet that's the heaviest for its size you can find. Also, it needs to have a ring around the bottom. Don't get a flat-bottomed skillet because it will BURN your food. Seriously. Has to have that ring.
Heat it up on the stove until it's pretty smokin'. Turn the stove off. Pour in some oil. I don't care what kind. Coat the pan well. Now let it sit for a while. Wipe it down with a paper towel and then it's ready to use.
I wash my skillets in regular dish detergent (the way they always say not to)- although never in a dishwasher! and I'm not afraid to scour them, although they hardly ever need it. They're practically non-stick, even when I only use PAM. I don't even dry them unless I'm in a mood to pamper one.
I go through the stove-top heating and oiling process whenever I think about it, which is not that often.
And I have skillets I've been using since we entered the iron age.
They've never rusted, they are beautiful. I'm not afraid of them and they treat me well.

6:31 PM  
Blogger Sara said...

alright, ms. moon, I'll give it a try. I did do the pampering before and haven't been in the mood to do it again.

7:43 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home