Saturday, January 24, 2009

Living with the Consequences

My sister gets mad at me when I don't post on the weekends.

I try to remind her I announced a while ago I was going to stop posting on weekends, but she doesn't care.

Get to it!

We are up in Ogunquit this weekend. All of us. Well, minus Allan who is in Saudi Arabia for a conference. I brought the cats in hopes that they would eat the mice up here.

They are, however, spoiled suburban cats and spent their time hunkered under the down blankets.

It came to my attention today there is a lot of outrage over the Portland, Oregon mayor Sam Adams. Some folks think Mr. Adams is being railroaded out of office because he had a consensual relationship with a 17 then 18 year old man.

They waited till his birthday to have sex, so it'd be legal. Nice.

When asked about it previously, Mr. Adams lied about it. Now he's been caught lying, he's crying homophobia.

Listen, if you lie about something, you gotta know it's not okay. And if you want to cry homophobia because the press is eating you alive, be careful. You might not get all the support you're looking for.

I think an 18 year old with a 40 year old is creepy. I think there is, no matter what, a power imbalance. Regardless of my opinion, though, is the reality of the kind of microscope elected officials live under. You run for office, you are going to be held to a higher standard.

Period.

I'm sick of the arrogance. And it is arrogant to think you can have a "relationship" with a almost 18 year old and get away with it.

See, just like my sister points out I have a responsibility to post- she keeps telling me there are people counting on me to write. I find that hard to believe but I do see the numbers on the site meter. I'm a blogger, not someone who ran for office.

When you are an elected public official, you have a different level to live up to. Sam Adams can stop crying homophobia and realize he fucked up.

And live with the consequences.

Like I'm living with a few mice up here.

Labels: ,

9 Comments:

Blogger Rev. Bob said...

How can people get into relationships that are contaminated by power without realizing it and saying no?

Gigi syndrome?

11:37 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

all i can say is, men behaving badly!!

if you want those cushy suburban cats to be mousers, withhold their food!! LOL

1:02 AM  
Blogger Sara said...

HMMM. withhold food. what a concept.

I have no idea what people are thinking when they are in positions of power. except that somewhere in year 3 and 4, they lose their ability to tell right from wrong.

8:22 AM  
Blogger Sue J said...

Well said -- a 40 year-old with an 18 year old is never healthy. No matter who it is.

I cannot believe you would withhold food from 20-year old cats -- the PETA people are going to be knocking on your door!

9:38 AM  
Blogger In_Flight said...

It's everywhere Sara. We just need to keep on fighting.

You mentioned you were in Ogunquit. Were you referring to Maine?

10:34 AM  
Blogger Ulla said...

Well, I disagree. A relationship between a 17 year old and a 40 year old could be good news or bad news depending on the people involved. Clearly the 40 year old has a special responsibility, but if he's in love, he also has a high probability of getting his heart broken.

1:19 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

you're right sue! i didn't mean withhold all their food, just cut it back a bit. you would be surprised how they will hone their hunting skills if their tummys are growling a bit!

i have friends that are grappling with the fact that their 19 year old daughter has been dating a 38 year woman for the past year. the woman even moved from maine to new york to be closer to their daughter at school. so, it is not just us men...

4:23 PM  
Blogger Sara said...

no, by no means is it just men.

sue? the cats are 16. and those peta people can come right over- I'll serve some rare steak.

yes, Phil, Ogunquit, Maine. very southern. still very cold.

Ulla, very very rarely is a 17 or 18 year old mature enough. I'm not saying it can't happen. mostly? what bugs me is Adams lied. bad politics. don't come running to me and hide behind LGBT slander.

4:44 PM  
Blogger Seda said...

As an Oregonian, that's the best thing I've seen written about Sam Adams yet.

Pisses me off. He was all situated to set a good example and make a difference in our state for LGBT folks, and now look.

Disgusting.

9:26 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home