Thursday, July 30, 2009

Vacation Check in: Yes, I belong in the Ladies Locker Room

I thought I'd check in... I've been relaxing so much out here, I'm mush right now. Perfect level of mush. Jeanine and I are sitting on our own little private porch and she is reading me a fish oil supplement advertisement and she's laughing hysterically.

Family fun for everyone! Don't leave baby out!

It has never occurred to me to take fish oil capsules. I stick to that radical idea of eating fish. You know, pick up the fork, chew, swallow. I don't care what Mary Poppins said, cod liver oil is nasty.

Which reminds me of some of the fabulous food we've had out here. The first night, we had delicious scallops, with artichoke hearts and summer truffle.



Mmmmmmm. Don't ask me waht the foamy stuff was- I think the chef is stuck in the late 1990's.

Another dish we had while here was rabbit in many different little pieces. Oh, don't be sending PETA on me, I can't help it, I like rabbit.



Can we all sing, "Little rabbit foo foo, hoppin' thru the forest, scooping up the field mice and boppin' them on the head."

With the fresh lima beans, and the au jus, it was spectacular.

I went with the wife to Tanglewood. I have been dragging my heels for ... um... 15 years. It's so close, we could walk with our little picnic basket. Of course, as we walked in the entrance the State Trooper there said, "You ladies be careful when you leave... two rows of cars coming out of here, and nary a one looking for a person on the side of the road."

And then we chatted about the bad rain out here and how the roads have been. He was a nice guy.

We had our little picnic on the grass.



I wish I had brought my real camera with me because there were some amazing food set ups on the lawn. Candles, tables, clothes, silver... it's a small competition among some to have the most elegant lawn meal there is.

We had a great time, left before the bugs were too bad. Jeanine is satisfied that she has been to Tanglewood- I don't have to go again for another 15 years.

Ok, ten.

We've sat by the pool. Read books. Enjoyed he sunset. Went to see the O'Keeffe exhibit at the Clark. It was billed "O'Keeffe" but it was really Arthur Dove and O'Keeffe and mostly Arthur Dove. He may have been her inspiration but once again, all I can say is women do it better. Her work was stunning. His... fine. The droves of people were there to see Georgia's work, though.

I went to have a massage today. One of my favorite things to do on vacation. I went over to the Cranwell, as where I am staying does not have a spa, and had a wonderful treatment. As I was leaving, I stepped out of the bathroom, in the locker room, and had an older woman say to me, "I believe this is the ladies lounge," clutching her robe to her chin.

I was clearly, in her mind, in the wrong place.

Now, please understand, I go through this every day, all the time. I get called sir, I get the look up and down when I go to the restroom. But having just stood completely naked in that very room not five minutes before, to have this woman push her gender stereotypes down my throat after having such a nice massage... I kind of lost my patience.

I lifted my shirt, showing her my lovely lacy black bra (cup size D thank you very much) and said, "Yes it is."

And walked out.

From now on? That is going to be my response to the evil eye, or the raised eyebrow. I'm lifting up my shirt. Period.

Tonight is our last night. We have dinner reservations. The only disappointment was the golf course we wanted to play on was closed due to way too much water from all the rain. Yes, I am that stereotypical of a lesbian that I play golf. Softball, too.

Oh. The rain. That reminds me... my boys are out here, at camp, in rain, rain, rain. With no lovely scallops and summer truffles to get them through.

I'll be sure to send a care package of deep woods off. But first... a lovely glass of wine...

11 Comments:

Anonymous Tricia said...

I love reading your blog and I am greatly appreciative of your insights and how you handle the struggles in your life. Today you really impressed me, I will remember from now on to lift my shirt and show them my "chest" mine are only B cups but who cares. lol

2:02 AM  
Anonymous donald said...

sounds like a wonderful time, and it couldn't have come at a better time.

looking forward to having you downeast for a couple days, the weather is looking like it will be very good, with a front coming through on saturday and pushing the fog out to sea. let's hope!

poor little bunny!! LMAO

4:26 AM  
Blogger Rev. Bob said...

Just in case you have a flash of guilt for pampering yourselves, revel in it.

7:22 AM  
Blogger Sara said...

Nope, actually, I don't feel guilty at all. Not one tiny bit.

Not even for the rabbit, donald! nor will I feel bad about those lobsters we're going to finish off either.

show the sisters the sisters, I say tricia! shuts 'em right up.

8:57 AM  
Blogger Christy said...

The rabbit looks delish. (Yep. I eat rabbit too...but then again I was raised in the South. I pretty much will eat any game animal.)

Can I just say that I was off my seat with laughter when you wrote about lifting your shirt? What a fabulous response. I wish you had a picture of her face!

10:43 AM  
Anonymous Kori said...

I didn't know that softball OR golf were lesbian stereotypes; wtf? And I wanted to hit the woman who said you don't belong there-I admire your quick thinking and your CALMNESS! More than anything, I am glad you are having such a wonderful, mushy time.

11:35 AM  
Blogger Sue J said...

Black, lacy bra -- nice! It probably wouldn't have the same effect with a jog bra, eh?

1:10 PM  
Blogger Sara said...

my friend margaret didn't believe I had a black lacy bra.

next time I see her and have one on? I'm lifting my shirt to her too.

dammit. just watch out. I'm showing the sisters where ever from now on.

10:38 PM  
Anonymous Jeffrey said...

Two things...I would have STARVED on those lovely portions and who the hell every takes you for a man you are so clearly NOT...

1:49 PM  
Blogger Sue J said...

I told U.P. about this and she laughed and laughed, and said you are her new hero!

11:23 AM  
Blogger Sara said...

tell UP I may flash her, too.

I'm just in that kind of mood and once you do it, it's much easier to do again.

and again.

5:04 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home