Friday, October 02, 2009

Valued Members of Society

I'm ready for a week at the spa. It's been crazy around here in so many ways...

After the cat died, very sad and her sister is walking around the house meowing for her which breaks my heart, Ben was caught skipping class. Oy. As if that was not enough, the next morning I was rear ended in a parking garage. Nice. Then I got lost driving to Zachary's cross country meet in the middle of nowhere, only arriving in time to chase down the bus he had gotten on because I wasn't there. I was in such a foul mood on Wednesday, no one dared speak to me.

I wanted to crawl under the covers and stay there. If only I had that kind of freedom.

Today, I'm headed for Maine while Jeanine and the boys are going to Texas for a family gathering. I am eager to do some work for the campaign up there. The polls say we are ahead, slightly, and I personally never believe polls on this issue. People don't want to say, gosh, no, I don't think those pesky homosexuals should have equal rights. It just doesn't sound nice.

The other side has been saying gay lifestyles will be taught in schools which makes me laugh. Five years, almost six, into marriage equality in Massachusetts and I haven't seen one class in any of my kids schools talk about gay sex. It's a little sickening to see them throw kids out as bait for hate.

It's not about schools. It's about marriage equality. Adults entering into a legal contract that has government benefits. Duh.

Society changes, folks. We don't have slavery anymore and I for one, think that's a good thing. I know there are some who don't, but for the most part, it's one thing we can agree has been a moral benefit for our society. Treating people equally, whether it be women, or people of color or LGBT folks, is a good thing.

Maybe someone should send a note to Buju Banton that his anti-gay lyrics are costing him serious cash. Call me crazy, but calling for gays to be shot and burned in a song is just wrong. Calling for anyone to be killed in a song, is just wrong.

And don't even get me started on the misogyny.

In Maine, real people, real Mainers, are lining up to be in ads, give testimony, in support of marriage equality. As pointed out by local columnist local columnist Bill Nemitz, "Stand for Marriage Maine has attached four – and only four – faces to its televised ad campaign. And of those four, only one person is actually from Maine."

Um... does that tell you something?

As I head off to Maine today, I do so with the hope that my kids will witness a change in our society that reflects our values- that everyone is welcome. That you judge people for who they are, not what they are. That there is nothing 'traditional' about exclusion. That as Americans we truly value individuals beyond a marketing slogan. That marriage equality is the first step of many to acknowledging that LGBT people are their brothers, sisters, fathers, mothers, cousins, and they deserve to live without the threat of violence, loss of employment, housing, medical care... oh the list goes on and on.

We are valued members of society.

Even if caught skipping class.

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Rough week!

Thanks for fighting the fight in Maine.

I'm crushed as I've always loved Buju Banton. No more of his music for me. I'm burning the stuff.

10:47 AM  
Blogger Sue J said...

This should be another example to those who oppose equal marriage, of how we are just like everyone else in the ups and downs of everyday life.

3:26 PM  
Blogger Sara said...

it's why I have the blog I do... my life isn't really all that different from anyone elses... except I have no rights.

7:05 PM  
Blogger Sue J said...

Yeah, there is that.

8:36 PM  
Blogger Rev. Bob said...

Good for you on Maine. Wrt the teenager, our younger one when he was Ben's age decided we wouldn't actually kill him and he could pretty much take anything else. We got connected with an excellent family counselor through community mental health. It worked out great.

Wrt the car, I admit I was wrong when I suggested you get something spicier than your Subaru. We also got rear ended, and our Taurus SHO, which I thought was only mildly exotic, doesn't have a bumper cover in stock any more. We have to replace it with a Maserati bumper cover.

Again, sorry about your cat. It's always hard to lose a little friend.

12:38 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home